25%
No
44%

Total votes: 16

wahaha
AniDB Staff

When not logged in, show CRC (where ed2k norm. goes)[DENIED]

Post by wahaha »

I especially target people's "first impression" of the page, because there they won't have any idea how powerful anidb is.

However, they might have figured already what a CRC is (and maybe know envirosphere or baka-updates)... if the ed2k-column is then replaced by a CRC-column for not-logged-in users, they might remember "that page with CRCs" later on and become a bit more interested in it.

Downside:
- Might be a bit large (layout-wise)
- Possible complaints that there's no CRC-column when being logged in :?

[Added a poll to give the >300 inactive registered users 8O the possibility to state their opinion without having to post. Not like any of them will actually do that ^^;]
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

wahaha wrote: - Might be a bit large (layout-wise)
There is enought place in the non loged version.
wahaha wrote: - Possible complaints that there's no CRC-column when being logged in :?
The green/red bar is more important. We only need CRC, becouse other people don't use the ed2k hash.
kidan

Post by kidan »

zaufany wrote:We only need CRC, becouse other people don't use the ed2k hash.
:arrow: Nah, not quite right, as sometimes there is a Version which is spread very well within the ed2k network, but which does not match the official crc, as it was corrupted before putting it on ed2k (hdd problem, error when downloading from irc,..). So the CRC is a check for the file-integrity, so that you can be sure of this: if a file has got a valid crc, I get the original release from the fs-group.

PS: If fs-groups would publish ed2k-links instead of CRC/SFV/MD5-files then your statement would be right of course.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

I voted no cause of the fear for possible layout changes and I dont feel like making a new pic for the FAQ, i just finished it and im sick and tired of it :lol:
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

[quote="kidanPS: If fs-groups would publish ed2k-links instead of CRC/SFV/MD5-files then your statement would be right of course.[/quote]
Uh huh, I wonder why they run the files through CRC32 in the first place. MD4 is just as capable a hashing algorithm and can serve the exact same purpose that the CRC does.

Oh well.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Elberet wrote:[quote="kidanPS: If fs-groups would publish ed2k-links instead of CRC/SFV/MD5-files then your statement would be right of course.
Uh huh, I wonder why they run the files through CRC32 in the first place. MD4 is just as capable a hashing algorithm and can serve the exact same purpose that the CRC does.[/quote]
Suggestions:
A crc is less text than a MD4 ?
Everyone knows sfv-programs and crc`s are easier to check ?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Gambit wrote:A crc is less text than a MD4 ?
For good reasons. MD4 has a higher uniqueness then CRC32. And what's the big deal about the longer checksum string? It doesn't seem to matter much if a program compares 8 chars or 24 chars.
Gambit wrote:Everyone knows sfv-programs and crc`s are easier to check ?
There are open-source implementations of MD4. Except of the longer checksum strings, there's no change in what the enduser sees. The sfv program can work exactly like before. Also, there's no noticeable time difference between calculating an MD4 or a CRC32. Any current CPU with enough free RAM can do the calculations much faster then a HDD can deliver the data.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Elberet wrote:[...] And what's the big deal about the longer checksum string?
Mainly one thing: It doesn't fit in the average IRC-topic ;)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

*sigh*

Ok ok, argument withdrawn. :roll:
darkfader

Post by darkfader »

You can just put a text or show only parts of it, or scrambled. With a message that ppl should login first, using a hyperlink and/or the 'title'-attribute.