Support for 4 digit CRCs

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

DrPhillip

Support for 4 digit CRCs

Post by DrPhillip »

Lately I've been using some japanese p2p programs to find raws and I've noticed that the users tend to favor 4 digit CRCs(CRC16?) instead of the 8 digit CRCs that aniDB and most fansub groups use. So I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for these CRCs in AOM so I could verify the CRCs of these raws. Of couse if there's an easier way to convert 4 digit CRCs into sha1 or vice versa that would be fine also.

Another feature I'd like is the ability to copy all of the different hashes to notepad so it would be easier to add them to aniDB.
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

Lately I've been using some japanese p2p programs to find raws and I've noticed that the users tend to favor 4 digit CRCs(CRC16?) instead of the 8 digit CRCs that aniDB and most fansub groups use. So I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for these CRCs in AOM so I could verify the CRCs of these raws. Of couse if there's an easier way to convert 4 digit CRCs into sha1 or vice versa that would be fine also.
4 (CRC16) is not as safety as CRC32 hashes. So I would think it will not be added to anidb nor AOM IMHO.
Another feature I'd like is the ability to copy all of the different hashes to notepad so it would be easier to add them to aniDB.
This feature already exists, you can even add width height and other things to txt files. In the Preferences you can control what will be outputted and in the "known files" ther should be some button to output it to file.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

4 (CRC16) is not as safety as CRC32 hashes. So I would think it will not be added to anidb nor AOM IMHO.
neither is crc32. crc32 checksums can easily get manipulated. point is it's still the official used confirmationhash used by groups. i would prefer md5, but oh well.

as for generating crc16 hashes i somewhat fail to see why aom should generate them.
Lately I've been using some japanese p2p programs to find raws and I've noticed that the users tend to favor 4 digit CRCs(CRC16?)
i have been using winny and share actively enough in the past year to know most files don't have crc16 tags in the filename. there are like 1 out of a 100 files with them. aside of that there are other tools to generate those.

also note setting raws from winny/share as crc verified is blatantly wrong. you don't know who created those files. all you got is a tripcode and that one isn't even unique like the birdy could explain to ya.
raws are just not verifieable if they have no group.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Der Idiot wrote:point is it's still the official used confirmationhash used by groups. i would prefer md5, but oh well.
I would prefer ed2k hash as the official confirmationhash. French groups I know only offer this information as official.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Amour wrote:
Der Idiot wrote:point is it's still the official used confirmationhash used by groups. i would prefer md5, but oh well.
I would prefer ed2k hash as the official confirmationhash. French groups I know only offer this information as official.
i meant FROM THE GROUPS not by anidb moron :roll:

any hash > crc32 can be used to set the flag in anidb. but i would prefer if groups would drop crc32 finally and use a saver hash.