recommendations [DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

sothis

Post by sothis »

i cant think of any human being right now that i have such a low opinion of, than yidaki.

luckily i decided to check out this forum, and happened upon this thread.

i am the one in question who made the anime recommendation database. i am extremely proud of it. when i designed and coded it (from scratch), i had the idea in mind because nothing like it exists on the web, at least not that i can tell. sites like these, they are great.. dont get me wrong. but i had thought my idea was unique.

and now, to see this jackass coming in here and telling you to STEAL the idea that i made, really makes me want to shove a crowbar through his face.

this idea, this tool, was and still is my brainchild. i spent many, many hours slaving away over that code, designing it... i spent MANY hours getting personal friends (who are english inclined) to write every single description in that database from scratch. i then spent many hours having them edited, so they would be good quality descriptions (unlike animenfo translated garbage). i spent many hours getting every picture that i used for each series (many from taking screenshots). i spent probably 2 months straight coding, designing, getting feedback, and for the last few months, getting everyone i know to make recommendations. currently there are over 1600. pretty much any of my free time nowadays, goes to the database. adding new series people want in it. adding new features. etc.

i ask you, as an admin, and as a fellow web designer/developer, to please not steal my idea, as yidaki so vilely put it. this site is fantastic, and ill probably use it myself once in awhile. but this anime recommendation database, is my baby... ive worked *so hard* on it and did it so fans would have a good tool to use, ive been hoping, also, that if people see the tool, they might come into the hub i download in (and the reason i made that site to begin with), and we could build the community more.

ill pm this to the admin as well. im sorry if i came off as mean, or anything like that, this just REALLY infuriates me.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

We have sometning like this. It is called the Anime Hint.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

this issue has been solved, who knows.
maybe a little cooperations between our sites will come into being :o)

BYe!
EXP
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

First of all, don`t pay attention to Yidaki - that`s how we cope with him as well :lol:
Next, I doubt EXP is the kind of guy who actually 'steals' code or ideas. He might get inspired by some others and develops his own things, but that`s the freedom of the Internet, isn`t it? ;)
Third, we already have a way of determining suggestions based on peoples votes here: the Anime Hint. And so far that`s pretty original as well, and it even works - which leaves me wondering why Yidaki actually has suggested that link, to be honest.

Anyway, your site looks good ... keep up the good work :D
sothis

Post by sothis »

First of all, don`t pay attention to Yidaki - that`s how we cope with him as well
yea, i still have a fair notion that he's a royal ass-hat. hopefully karma will kick him in the ass when he decides to create a big project, and have someone steal it from him.
Next, I doubt EXP is the kind of guy who actually 'steals' code or ideas. He might get inspired by some others and develops his own things, but that`s the freedom of the Internet, isn`t it?
i had an extensive talk today with exp in mirc, he definitely seems to be a decent guy, and already apologized for yidaki's behavior. (personally, if i had a person like that on my site, id make sure to ban the ip. no one needs attitudes like that, as far as i'm concerned).
Third, we already have a way of determining suggestions based on peoples votes here: the Anime Hint. And so far that`s pretty original as well
indeed. this site is quite useful.. i checked it out a bit more extensively after i had posted this, and was in the process of talking with exp. like animenfo, yet way better ;) .. i especially like how you get a list of all the fansub groups, the episode sizes, etc... dynamically. (as opposed to having to click a few times elsewhere)
Anyway, your site looks good ... keep up the good work
thanks :D i have another chat scheduled with exp this weekend, but needless to say, exp summed it up quite nicely when he said:
maybe a little cooperations between our sites will come into being
who knows, maybe we'll see more of each other soon, eh? :)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Gambit wrote:...the Anime Hint. And so far that`s pretty original as well, and it even works - which leaves me wondering why Yidaki actually has suggested that link, to be honest.
Well, I would guess that it's because for the anime hint to work, you need to sign up, spend 30 minutes to browse the anime list and cast votes on 30 different shows. sothis' system works for everyone, even people who don't have an account with his site, and delivers a handful of easily browseable anime titles that are all closely related to the one you were looking for.
sothis wrote:(personally, if i had a person like that on my site, id make sure to ban the ip. no one needs attitudes like that, as far as i'm concerned).
Right. And if he has a dynamic IP, would you ban the whole subnet of his ISP? I agree that asking someone to steal an idea from someone else is a bad thing in general, but there's no actual harm done. Otoh, banning possibly dozens of innocent users just because one of them has been hurting your pride, isn't that a little overkill?

Post by Guest »

sothis' system works for everyone, even people who don't have an account with his site
she! Image just as information, which i'm sure you don't care for or need, you do have to be signed up in the forum to actually *make* the recommendations. this is not only for easy querying purposes (i work by myself, i don't really want to make another seperate database to handle accounts), but also for accountability purposes FOR your votes, not being able to spam, etc. exp seemed to have that idea in mind as well with his creation ^_^
Otoh, banning possibly dozens of innocent users just because one of them has been hurting your pride, isn't that a little overkill?
it was just wishful thinking ;). i'd never ban a dynamic ip range if it came down to that. we've had to do that a few times in the DC hub, but only if no one else notably uses the range.

in any event, you are right. no harm done. especially since good things might come out of it now ^_^
sothis

Post by sothis »

ermm, above post was from me. damn guest posting :p
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

you do have to be signed up in the forum to actually *make* the recommendations.
Yeah, I noticed that part.
also for accountability purposes FOR your votes, not being able to spam, etc. exp seemed to have that idea in mind as well with his creation
Well, I doubt it. The two systems work different in how the votes are used. For you, the votes directly determine which animes a user is being recommended. In exp's setup, users' votes are compared and instead of finding a particular recommended title, it finds the user who's taste (in votes) seems to be closest.
she!
Duly noted. ;)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Elberet wrote:Well, I would guess that it's because for the anime hint to work, you need to sign up, spend 30 minutes to browse the anime list and cast votes on 30 different shows. sothis' system works for everyone, even people who don't have an account with his site, and delivers a handful of easily browseable anime titles that are all closely related to the one you were looking for.
I guess that`s why the 'Anime Hint' is more meant for people who have seen a decent amount of anime already. Which means it`s more suitable for people who know what kind of anime they like. People who have seen 3 animetitles usually don`t know what kind of genre they like, since they have probably seen 3 series/movies from the same genre. As soon as they have watched (according to you) 30 anime titles, they should be 'enough' to make a decision what genres/series they like.
Makes this Anime Hint very user-based and a lot more specific, imo.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

My thoughts, just with better words. :P