editing rw without losing the rating|minor/major edits[DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

BMan

editing rw without losing the rating|minor/major edits[DONE]

Post by BMan »

[as EXP ordered, here's the new thread...]

// ok, maybe i should've opened a new thread, but i think it still kinda fits here... \\ this does not fit here anymore

i forgot about the rating being reset after editing and added three "s to one of my reviews...well, only one rating, so i don't really mind...
but you sure agree with me that this should be improved...
#AniDB, 08.07.2003 wrote: [01:48:07] <BMan> mh, not good you lose the rating after you edited it, though
[01:48:23] <PetriW|ExcelSaga> BMan, both good and bad ;)
[01:48:30] <nwa> heh
[01:49:02] <BMan> you have to differentiate between major and minor changes
[01:49:31] <BMan> maybe that could be build in
[01:49:48] <PetriW|ExcelSaga> BMan, to be automatically detected?
[01:49:51] <BMan> no
[01:50:00] <PetriW|ExcelSaga> *phew* =)
[01:50:31] <BMan> maybe checkboxes...or through approvement ^^
[01:50:40] <BMan> bit tricky
[01:51:03] <BMan> but why lose rating if i'm just adding three "s?
[01:51:45] <PetriW|ExcelSaga> checkbox sounds reasonable
[01:52:14] <BMan> you have to rely on the user, of course
[01:52:36] <BMan> shouldn't be a problem
i think you can imagine what i mean with minor and major changes...
and yes, i know, the transition is fluently...
but i really don't want to lose the possibility of fixing minor things like typos...and, depending on the rating, i would (not theoretically, of course)...

i hope i made it at least somewhat clear what this is all about ;)
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The checkbox "small changes" should be the best solution. The counting characters has one big disadvantage. You can sometime replace one sentence by another. And number of characters doesn't change much. It is rather impossible one user want spoil his review.
theMug

Post by theMug »

I would like to second that.

I do not think that the author of a disapproved review would check it so that his revamped piece would not be reevaluated (and if it stays crappy, no harm done :wink:).
On the other hand I doubt that a person having written an approved review would replace it by "bIg suckZ0r!!!!111111" and all 1 rating afterwards.
BMan

Post by BMan »

well, the automatic thingie is totally out of question...don't know how PetriW could have even thought of me thinking about that :mrgreen:

i'd support a checkbox "minor changes", default checked if possible...

[edit]
@theMug
exactly my thoughts
[/edit]

[edit 2]
mmmmhhh...of course, this feature could also be kind of abused...
my love hina-review is much shorter than my other reviews, so i might want to add some major stuff...but at the same time i don't want to lose my rating...so i just check "minor changes"...
it prolly will result in a better review, so keeping the rating isn't bad, but it doesn't feel right after all...
[/edit 2]
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

so we again come back to the "review-mods" question...
wouldnt it be good to actually make a creq for your own review Image
and so the review mod can see whats happening and decide if it's a minor or major change
BMan

Post by BMan »

i thought about that, too....
but anyway, if the review is better than before, i don't really see a need for resetting the rating...guess this would be something the mods could decide, too...

ah well, let's see what others are saying...damn tricky stuff :!:
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

nwa, say it for christ sake!
You only want to be a reviewer. :P
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think review-mods would be good to decide, if the votes can be kept after an edit or not.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

It pretty much looks like we only have one proposal up to now, which I second: ^^
( - You can still edit your reviews)
- If you disable the "minor changes"-checkbox, the edit is done directly and the votes are reset.
- If you leave the "minor changes"-box on, your edit will be directed to a [review] mod. The [review] mod then decides if you keep your previous rating or not. (In other words, the [review] mod decides if the users should be given the chance to change their opinion on the review due to the edit.)
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

wahaha wrote: - If you leave the "minor changes"-box on, your edit will be directed to a [review] mod. The [review] mod then decides if you keep your previous rating or not. (In other words, the [review] mod decides if the users should be given the chance to change their opinion on the review due to the edit.)
The only point here is that a mod is not able to alter a review. The mods only have a button 'DELETE' (which I really like :D ).
Now, let me add a new suggestion. What if you can check a box for 'Notify on new review', like what you have now for new files. That way the people who like to edit their review will notify people who actually pay attention reading reviews. Usually those people are reviewers as well, so they`ll know if a review is good or not.
This way it`ll take a little while before all people have revoted again, but at least they will read the entire review (as if it was a new review) and thus they won`t be judged by what the person has written before.
BMan

Post by BMan »

well, that is another useful thing, but the point is:

i want to fix some minor errors in my reviews without losing the rating...
therefor i still think something like a minor-checkbox isn't a bad idea...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Hm,

I don't think we should require mods to decide wether the rating of an edited review should be reseted or not.
As someone said before no one will make his own review worse on purpose. So a simple checkbox (x)only minor changes would be the better way to handle it (default would be off, meaning votes are reset).

About the notify thingy, do we really need that? I plan to add the requested latest review page someday, wouldn't make that notifications somewhat useless, I mean as long as the number of new reviews per week is still low?
And who would use such a feature? @ new-review-added-notification

BYe!
EXP
BMan

Post by BMan »

mh, i don't really need it...latest reviews would be enough...i think...

i'm ok with the checkbox, since it was my proposal...
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

imho, if you add the 'Latest review'-section at the menu at the left, then you shouldn`t have to worry about the rating, because even when the rating gets reset, it shows up at the 'Latest review', which means it will obviously get rated again soon afterwards.
If you see a typo afterwards, you usually edit it away immediately, but how often do you see a typo 3 weeks after you posted it?

Anyway, if that 'Latest reviews'-section is here, that checkbox for minor changes wouldn`t really be necessary, imho - but if people appreciate it and EXP doesn`t mind implementing it, I wouldn`t have anything against it either :) I do think it should be turned 'on' by default though; nobody will make their review worse.
The only way why you would want to set it to 'off', would be when you adjusted your ratings, but the way I see it now, we pay more attention to what is written; the rating is more like an extra indication, although still very useful for a first glance.
BMan

Post by BMan »

at least i'd appreciate it...
as already mentioned above, i'd like to see it "on" by default, but i can live with "off", too...