Offline record keeping

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

towo

Offline record keeping

Post by towo »

Hey there,

I'm a bit of a shitball when it comes to writing down what kind of files of ... dubious origin .. are in my position, but on the other hand, the idea of AniDB is quite enticing. I'm currently keeping record of Anime using the generic files of AniDB, but IMHO, that's just a surrogate for the real thing..

What I'm asking myself is whether'd there'd be any ideological objections to keeping a different MyList on your local machine, probably by using AOM (since database access is - understandbly - absolutely ondocumented)? More or less an option where you set the "real" files locally, and the client adds them as generic files to the online account?

Sort of like a privacy feature. "[x] Replace all files with generic files when updating AniDB", maybe. I haven't checked AOM thoroughly, so I can't see whether it keeps a local copy of the mylist settings.

Potential problem arising with that: resync with the AniDB; some kind of restrictions would need to be imposed, like "do not add generic files if another file for the episode is already present". Which, OTOH, would hinder people who've, e.g., watched End of Eva in cinema (using a generic file, type theater) as well as having it tucked away as a fansub. Exception rules might be necessary, or just a general "ignore generic files when syncing" guideline.

Discuss, please? :)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

If you're worried about legal implications of having files that might be in violation of some law or other where you live, might I suggest that and *anonymous* account on a *public database* that *alleges* said *unknown person* has possession of a certain files is unlikely to be of any interest to law enforcement agencies.
So, just add the freakin' files yo, this feature request is redundant.

Rar
egg

Post by egg »

I agree with Rar, if you are concerned by your privacy, then don't use the for the real files, just use generics. There are ways to anonimize yourself on the internet, so if you didn't want people to track you down you could look at something like that.

I love the irony in this post...
1) You made a post to the forum, so you just brought attention to yourself.
2) Whatever means that you are using to acquire these files is much riskier (and easier to track) than trying to find the real owner of an AniDB account...
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

You don't seem to agree with me egg. I said it was ridiculous to think that using generics instead would give you any greater degree of legal safety.

Rar
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

Or of course you can just use "Change Permission:" in your profile to make your stuff inaccessible to people who don't have your password. That's its purpose.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

That too, I think is redundant from a legal perspective. Even if the entire contents of anidb were subpoenaed tomorrow, bypassing permissions and seeing all the internal logs as well, I am confident that it would not be possible to prosecute based only on that data. Adding a file to your mylist is in no way sufficient evidence of any legal wrongdoing.

Rar
towo

Post by towo »

Of course, it's ironic, egg. But I might just be asking for someone else, to spin forth the "can't be proven" theories.

I can't say I agree with all of you, but I do share an understanding.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Point me to a single case in criminal history where someone has been convicted based on an accusation that they committed a crime, from an anonymous source. You might not *agree* with me, but you've got no rational basis for that opinion.

Rar
towo

Post by towo »

Paranoia doesn't count? ;)