Keep form info after bad post [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

SPF

Keep form info after bad post [DENIED]

Post by SPF »

if you are adding a new file to anidb, and you make a mistake in the form, you'll get for example the following page:

ERROR: 1 - illegal chars in size

V 0.0.58dev - 12.06.2003, (C) 2003 by EXP, all rights reserved
design by akujiN

And all the information you filled in the form will be lost. Maybe it is possible to put the error information on top of the form. So that you can edit the bad post and turn it into a good one.

SPF
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ano,

just hit the back button in your browser.
it should remember all your form entries.

BYe!
EXP
SPF

Post by SPF »

I tried that using IE 6.0 with:

the "back" button
and backspace

both didn't work.

I think it won't work with other browsers either.

SPF
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

dunno what you call browsers but both opera
and firebird support this!

BYe!
EXP
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The Mozilla PL 1.3 have no problems too.
kidan

Post by kidan »

Well, I don't want to be nitpicky, but for work-flow it would be better, if you would not have to use the back-button, but to have the posting-page filled with the stuff entered shown together with an error-message.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

i see your point, but i simply have more pressing things which need to be done at anidb.
i don't expect to get around to implement something like this any time soon (prolly even ever).

BYe!
EXP
SPF

Post by SPF »

If you look at the statistics pages of counters, you'll see that Internet Explorer is one of the most used browsers (about 90%).

But to install Opera or an other browser for just anidb is unnessesairely. I've made some php pages with forms on my own, and they have the feature.

I understand you're busy on more important things. Maybe the feature will be enabled some other time.

SPF
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The IE is used only by 53% quite active members of the AniDB forum. http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319
I`ve tested the back button in IE too. Everything was correct. What is more, the uncommon scrollbars aren`t supported by Netscape and Opera. The IE isn`t discriminated. Maybe you should change something in preferences.

On the other hand. Why don`t you try any other browser? If you create WWW pages, you should know every browser.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Hmm... also IE here, and I had similar problems when the anime-edit-page refused the old animenfo-links: using the back-button reset the changed inputs.
Just to have mentioned it ;)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The sample size for that poll is way too small. ;)
As for boxes retaining information sure it's nice if you have the time to code it but in the meantime why don't you bug microsoft to make it always work in IE instead?

There's quite a few using Opera/Mozilla here, probably more here than on the average site.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Same problem here ... everything disappears after using back(space). Using IE 5.0 or something ...
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

using IE 6.0 and have the same problem..after there is an error and I hit the back button I have to type all the information again...and all these errors are always caused cause of it says the date is in the future..but it isnt in the future for me so I have to give yesterdays date to make it work...
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No problem here.
Never made a mistake. :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

nwa wrote:..after there is an error and I hit the back button I have to type all the information again...and all these errors are always caused cause of it says the date is in the future..but it isnt in the future for me so I have to give yesterdays date to make it work...
is this a bug report? if yes -> post it in the bug report forum

BYe!
EXP