Don't rename if new filename has invalid characters

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

taltamir

Don't rename if new filename has invalid characters

Post by taltamir »

The client should not rename if the new file name contains invalid characters, or is otherwise invalid. Usually on windows if an invalid filename is attempted, it just removes the invalid symbols or truncates the name. It is better to just leave the names as is.

For example Ranma 1/2 files end up something like this:
Ranma 1 2 - S3 Ending 1 [AnimeFreakz].avi

Because it attempts to rename them, despite the fact windows will not take the sign / in a filename
Last edited by taltamir on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Actually AOM itself strips this chars before renaming. I don't see how leaving not renamed files when I requested renaming can be better.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

because then i can manually rename them. If it sees that there would be a "problem" with renaming a file, then it should just make a crappy job of renaming it, it should leave its name as is and let me manually rename it. Alternatively, make it an OPTION, where you check a box if you want to not rename trouble files, and if you dont then it strips trouble characters and renames without them..

Also, it should avoid double spaces when striping trouble characters.
TheJAG

Post by TheJAG »

AOM can rename files to include symbols that look like "Special Chars" just check the "Use Symbols for specialchars" checkbox, it'll give you a scary warning but who cares.

Ex (Unchecked):
01 - .hack SIGN - Role Play v2 - [KickAssAnime](10234cd2)[AniDB].mkv
Ex (Checked):
01 - .hack∕∕SIGN - Role Play v2 - [KickAssAnime](10234cd2)[AniDB].mkv

Notice the ∕ (&#8725) symbol wich will lock just like a real / in explorer.

Another thing though, If AOM encounters a "é" or similar while renameing it'll skip ALL letters after that char. That's really annoying...

Ex:
20 - Gankutsuou - Good-bye, Eugé - [KickAssAnime](588c550c)[AniDB].mkv

It should be:
20 - Gankutsuou - Good-bye, Eugénie - [KickAssAnime](588c550c)[AniDB].mkv
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

Talk about thread necromancy (last post 1 year and 5 monthes ago.)

i know and i use this feature, I think it was introduced AFTER i created this thread, and in fact, after this thread died. Regardless, if it is NOT going to use those then it still shouldn't rename improperly. (ie, if you are not using unicode then it should not try to rename the hack sign episodes because it will do a bung up job of it without unicode...)

This is of little concern now since unicode support has been introduced though. With that feature enabled I can have it properly rename without ruining the filenames.
egg

Post by egg »

WebAOM allows you to define your own character substitutions, so even if you do not have unicode support (or in my case I had other programs that had problems with the unicode) you can still find options. For instance I can replace 'é' with 'e' or whatever.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

still my point is valid. Yes you can DEFINE character substitutions. That means you have to let it rename your files and then notice that it renames some files to weird abberations, figure out WHY, look up the original, and come up with a good substitution rule that would work for that file AND other files it hasn't tried :roll:

I think it would be much wiser for it to just ignore and not rename the specific files which include invalid characters (for which it does NOT have a substitution rule), if there a sub rule, use it, if it is set to use unicode, use it. If it is running with default settings and its gonna garble a filename beyond recognition, just leave it with its original name...