[CGI] Descriptions for vote ratings [DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

zaufany

Post by zaufany »

What does recommended mind?

The anime is not good enough for me to recommend it for every anime-fan. However, it is not so bad. Some people who like this genre can be satisfied with it. I can recommend it for them.

It is enough for me to recommend it for every anime-fan. This anime has an original story and different characters. The animation and music are quite good too.

It is enough to recommend it for everyone. There is something we cannot forget about. Everything is very good.

I cannot recommend it. People have families, children, pets, girl- and boyfriends, schools, studies, works, debts...
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think exp should just pick his favorite namings. Enough inspiration should be in here 8) .
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

nah,

just keep going :P
maybe we should open a poll on this one?

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think numbers are meaningless for our community lately. A named rating would be much better. For me everything below 6 is unwatchable (but that's my point of view).
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think we should still put the number right before the name (like 1 - Crappy) because otherwise people might mix up ratings.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

zaufany wrote:Gambit
I am reading it.The manga is much better. However, they has published only 3 books in my country yet.
All the books are released on ed2k .. you can find them on ShareReactor, if you can access the site :D
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I was wrong. The people vote rally too high. The best animes should have rating betwen 8 and 9. There should be only few 10 grades, the rest should be 9 or less. The avarge grade is below 9.
There are unfortunately a lot of animes with this averge grade. The averge aniem should have somthing betwen 6 and 7.
There should be one good article in help / howto section about rating files. And a lot of link to it. Everyone should red it. The people who use forum vote more correctly.

@gambit
I am very patient. I will wait for paper publish.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

zaufany wrote:There should be one good article in help / howto section about rating files. And a lot of link to it. Everyone should red it. The people who use forum vote more correctly.

@gambit
I am very patient. I will wait for paper publish.
Great, make a howto, or link to my HOWTO: REVIEW in the FAQ-forum :)

It`s not the people in the forum ... it`s the people who`re part of the community. Which means, irc-regulars, forum-regulars, group-members, etcetera. Those are the people who are actively busy doing things for the community, or rather who are the base of the community.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The 10 level vote system is quite hard to use. However, there are two useful rules. First - try to use 3, 5, 7 and 9 grades at beginning. Second - the 1, 2 and 10 grades are using very rare. Note that different people like different animes. Great anime for one man could be only good for someone else.

1 - unwatchable
You have not been able to watch it. It was really bad.
Reserved only for the worst cartoons. There are probably no so bad things in AniDB. Use this, if you are really sure.

2 - hopeless
You cannot say anything good about this one. Animation, sound, story and everything is on very low level.
Reserved only for very bad cartoons. There are probably no so bad things in AniDB. Use this, if you are really sure.

3 - very bad
It is very bad anieme, but anime. There are a lot of disadvantages. You cannot recommend it for anyone (including anime-fans). There is nothing worth to watch. Use for animes you do not like.

4 - boring
The anieme is boring. You cannot recommend it for anyone. However, there are few things you enjoy. For example: the word is quite original, but the story is very weak.

5 - decent
This anime is not bad, but it is not very good too. The watching it is not a wasting time. You can recommend it for some people who like this type of anime. If you cannot say anything good or bad, use this grade.

6 - nice
This anime is better than decent, but still not good. There are few moments you enjoy. The animation or music can be better than in decent animes. However, it is not good enough to recommend it for every anime-fan.

7 - good
The anime is good. There is an original story and different characters. The animation and the music are quite good too. You can recommend it for every anime-fan. Use for animes you like.

8 - very good
The anime is better than good. There are few moments you have been very impressed. Every anime-fans should watch this. However, it is not great, there is something to do.

9 - great
It is a great thing. The all is very impressed. Everyone should watch it, not only anime-fans. Everyone will enjoy it. (This kind of animes makes anime-fans.) The animation, sound, story and everything are on very high level. Use only for the best animes you have seen.

10 - sugoiiii
It is something really big. It has changed your mind, your view. It is part of your life. If it sounds storage, you have not seen the sugoiiii anime. Beware of it.
Reserved for something you cannot forget.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Nice post. Excellent explained, but I`m not satisfied with 4 and 5.
I would suggest making 4:

4 - Bad

This anime is just plain bad. It has nothing to recommend, and it doesn`t even has a story which can make things interesting.

This differs from 3 that 3 is so bad that you can`t rate lower. 4 Would mean that it`s not the worst, but it`s still too bad to recommend.

5 would become this:

5 - Decent

This anime is neither good or bad. It`s recommended to watch whenever you are bored, or when you`ve run out of anime to watch. Some people will probably recommend it when they like this type of anime

And if you still don`t see the difference between 3 and 4:

3 - Very bad

Very bad anime, but still anime. You can`t find any glimmer of hope to enjoy this anime. If you think an anime is definitely the worst anime ever, vote this one.
Last edited by Gambit on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMan

Post by BMan »

...6 - nice...
a 6 isn't nice, 7 or rather 8, i'd suggest

...8 - very good | 9 - great...
i don't see a great enough difference between the terms "very good" and "great" to be able to sign it

well, sugoiii is fine with me...

um, do we really need 1+2? just remove them :lol:

maybe the "decent" should accompany the 6...or the 7?

yeah, it's not easy...but at least we're on the right way...
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

BMan wrote:...6 - nice...
a 6 isn't nice, 7 or rather 8, i'd suggest

...8 - very good | 9 - great...
i don't see a great enough difference between the terms "very good" and "great" to be able to sign it
8 is meant to recommend to all otaku since it`s very good.
9 is meant to recommend to all non-otaku as well (and that`s a hard thing to make a non-otaku watch anime, all anime with a rating 9 should be able to turn a non-otaku into an anime-fan).
BMan

Post by BMan »

it's just about "very good" and "great", i don't see a (literal?) difference between these too...

it's not about the ratings themselves :)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

the problem with "very good" and "great" etc is that it's not very descriptipve. Ie, you're just replacing the numbers with names, you also can't trust people to actually READ the description.
That's why I think a combination of Kidans suggestion:
[0 - no anime (it does not qualify as an anime)]
1 - unwatchable (makes me puke)
2 - crappy (beter skip this)
3 - bad (not recomended)
4 - weak (boring)
5 - average (neither bad nor good)
6 - nothing special (might be of interest)
7 - good (recommended)
8 - nice (check this out!)
9 - great (must see)
10 - sugoiiii (I can't forget about it )
and Zaufanys suggestion:
1 - unwatchable
2 - hopeless
3 - very bad
4 - boring
5 - decent
6 - nice
7 - good
8 - very good
9 - great
10 - sugoiiii
would be really good.
Zaufanys descriptions of each rank could be included in a help page.

Ie, why not have this list in the dropdown: (note, grade 0 removed)
1 - unwatchable (it does not qualify as anime)
2 - hopeless (makes me puke)
3 - very bad (better skip this)
4 - boring (not recommended)
5 - decent (neither bad nor good)
6 - nice (might be interesting)
7 - good (recommended)
8 - very good (check this out)
9 - great (must see)
10 - sugoiiii (I can't forget about it)

Maybe should change some descriptions slightly though.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Btw, I use zaufanys list when I vote now and it's really nice cause you read the description and know immediatelly what to vote instead of hesitating between two numbers. :)