Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

we seem to be getting somewhere :o)

BYe!
EXP
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

It is very hard to describe every level with few words. The difference in meaning between very good and great is questionable. The difference between nice and good is questionable too. Does someone know any better words? So we should keep the numbers. I have done as much correction as I have been able to.

The 10 level vote system is quite hard to use. However, there are two useful rules. First - try to use 3, 5, 7 and 9 grades at beginning. (The most used is 7.) Second - the 1, 2 and 10 grades are using very rare. Note that different people like different animes. Great anime for someone could be only good for someone else.

1 - unwatchable
You have not been able to watch it. It was really bad.
Reserved only for the worst cartoons. There are probably no so bad things in AniDB. Use this, if you are really sure.

2 - hopeless
You cannot say anything good about this one. Animation, sound, story and everything is on very low level.
Reserved only for very bad cartoons. There are probably no so bad things in AniDB. Use this, if you are really sure.

3 - very bad
It is very bad anieme, but anime. There are a lot of disadvantages. You cannot recommend it for anyone (including anime-fans). There is nothing worth to watch. If you think an anime is definitely one of the worst anime ever, vote this one.

4 - bad
This anime is just plain bad. It has nothing to recommend, and it does not even have a story which can make things interesting. It is just boring. On the other hand, there are much worse animes. However, it is still too bad to recommend.

5 - decent
This anime is neither good or bad. People can watch it whenever they are bored, or when they have run out of anime to watch. If you cannot say anything good or bad, use this grade.

6 - fine
This anime is better than decent, but still not good. There are few moments you enjoy. The animation or music can be better than in decent animes. However, it is not good enough to recommend it for every anime-fan.

7 - good
The anime is good. There is an original story and different characters. The animation and the music are quite good too. You can recommend it for every anime-fan. Use for animes you like.

8 - very good
The anime is better than good. There are few moments you have been very impressed. Every anime-fans should watch this. However, it is not great, there is something to do.

9 - great
It is a great thing. The all is very impressed. Everyone should watch it, not only anime-fans. Everyone will enjoy it. (This kind of animes makes anime-fans.) The animation, sound, story and everything are on very high level. Use only for the best animes you have seen.

10 - sugoiiii
It is something really big. It has changed your mind, your view. It is part of your life. If it sounds storage, you have not seen the sugoiiii anime. Beware of it.
Reserved for something you cannot forget.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think this last rating scheme is good, anyway we need Gambit grammar checking here. :P

I never voted less than 5 (like Berserk)... don't think there is something like that I've ever seen. I have not much rated at 10 also but lots of 7, 8 and 9s. :D
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hmm, if you have trouble writing a good line for each grade then maybe do it on only a few, like this:
1 - unwatchable (it does not qualify as anime)
2 - hopeless
3 - very bad
4 - bad
5 - decent (neither bad nor good)
6 - fine
7 - good (recommended)
8 - very good
9 - great (must see)
10 - sugoiiii

The idea is people should see the "recommended" and think "hmm, would I recommend this anime to others?" or see the "must see" and think "I'm gonna tell all my friends about this one".
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

Does enyone have any sygestion? I think, we should publish it in help / howto. I can prepare the html file.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Let me do a short grammar check for you. :)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Help page:

The 10 level vote system can be quite hard to use, there are however a two useful rules.
First, try to use 3, 5, 7 and 9 in the beginning; the most used one is 7.
Second, the use of 1, 2 and 10 is very rare.

1 – Unwatchable
You were not even able to watch it; it was probably the worst thing you’ve ever watched.
This grade is reserved only for the worst cartoons. There is probably nothing as bad as this in AniDB. Use this only if you’re absolutely certain.

2 – Hopeless
You can’t say anything good at all about this one. Animation, sound, story, everything was really bad.
This grade is reserved only for the very bad cartoons. There is probably nothing as bad as this in AniDB. Use this only if you’re absolutely certain.

3 – Very Bad
This is a very bad anime although still anime. There’s nothing appealing about it. You can’t recommend it to anyone, not even die hard anime fans of this specific genre. If you think an anime is one of the worst ever vote a 3.

4 – Bad
This anime is just plain bad. It has nothing to recommend, it’s just plain boring. While there are worse animes it’s still too bad to recommend to others.

5 – Decent
This anime is neither good nor bad. People can watch it whenever they are bored or when they’ve run out of other anime to watch.

6 – Fine
This anime is better than decent but still not good, there are a few moments you enjoy although you can’t really recommend it to others.

7 – Good
This anime is good, the animation and sound is quite good and it has an original story and different characters as well. You can recommend it to the average anime fan; use this for animes you like.

8 – Very good
This anime is better than good, there are a few moments you were very impressed by it and every anime fan should watch it. However, it’s still not great as it still has a few points to improve.

9 – Great
This anime is absolutely great, you were very impressed by it. Everyone should watch it, not only anime fans because everyone will enjoy it as this is the kind of anime that creates anime fans. Everything in the anime is on a very high level. Use this for only the best animes you’ve watched.

10 – Sugoi
This anime is something really big; it changed your mind, gave you a whole new perspective on life and broadened your horizons. If this sounds unfamiliar to you then you have yet to watch a truly sugoi anime.
This grade is reserved only for the animes you’ll never ever forget.

Vote list dropdown:

1 - unwatchable
2 - hopeless
3 - very bad
4 - bad
5 - decent (neither bad nor good)
6 - fine
7 - good (recommended)
8 - very good
9 - great (must watch)
10 – sugoi
kidan

Post by kidan »

I think sugoi needs some extra iiii, as Japanese people tend to lenghten the i in sugoi, if something is really great. 8)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

any complains about petriw's summary?
if not i'll prolly include that one.

BYe!
EXP
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

No complaints here.

@kidan
Nope, they use more like a '~' sign .. they don`t add letters, otherwise it would alter the meaning.
Example:
- Kowai
- kawaii
That doesn`t mean kawaii is spoken as a longer version of kawai, it`s an entire different pronouncing.
If you want to extend the word, it would rather become
- kowai~
Which is spoken as kowaiii...
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

... and, to be honest, to me, "sugoiii" would look as good "Great!!!" would :roll:
kidan

Post by kidan »

@gambit: I know. but we do not really care for a correct romanji-writing (usually I would use kana), but some text for the dropdown, which states that this anime is really really great . :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the new naming scheme for votes is now included.
http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1485#1485

BYe!
EXP
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I've created a html file to put into hehelp / howto.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

in that case, isn't there a link missing in your post?

BYe!
EXP