how should an anidb client look like? how to use it?

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

exp
Site Admin

how should an anidb client look like? how to use it?

Post by exp »

Well,

as a friend of me is atm working on a rather simple anidb client there are a couple of questions which come to mind.
the goal of a complete anidb client should be to use almost all features of anidb without accessing the website. and also to offer some functionalities while offline.
for this an anidb client basically stores a shortened copy of the relevant anidb data on it's hdd and uses that data for further display.
and here comes the first prob, how to do that? @ display

we atm have a pre-alpha version which doesn't do anything besides downloading and displaying the data yet.
here are some screenshots.

Anime data display:

Ep data display:

File data display:

Mylist data tab (not finished):

Now we need some more ideas how to display the mylist stuff.
At first we thought about doing it the same way as the animelist
display with the only difference that only those animes/eps/files which are in mylist are displayed in the treeview and clicking on any of them displays the same data as doing so in the animelist.
an additional mylist data tab would be added which would be displayed after expanding a file and clicking on a then shown "show mylist info" sub entry.
I guess for some purposes this is a good way to do it. however, i don't think it's generally the best way to do it.
Another option would be to make the animes non expanding @ mylist and display one combined tab with anime+ep+file+mylist info per anime once the anime is selected (with much less info of course). Or maybe have another treeview with eps and files inside the then shown mylist data tab for the selected anime.
Or don't expand an anime to eps but rather directly to files...
in other words, we just don't have the right idea, so enlighten us :P

we're looking forward to see a lot of feedback and suggestions here
and you may well use photoshop/pain or vc++ to draw some suggestions :o)

THX.

Btw. should this client ever work and be publicly released prepear for some huge c# bastard :|
You should calc ~60MB RAM and ~200MB hdd usage (size due to database). (and no, u don't have to download that, compressed it's ~4MB :P)

BYe!
EXP
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

NOTE:
don't get your hopes up!
this client might well need a couple of month to get into any usable state
or maybe even never reach it!
atm we're just collecting ideas.

BYe!
EXP
RobinOberg

Post by RobinOberg »

Seems great :)

except, i would like to see a layout closer to the webpage.
maybe you could use html even?
and maybe it could be an empty shell and just download the current cache once from the website once its installed, that way maybe one would only need to get info on anime you are looking at in the program. like if i were to look up "sol bianca" in the program, it downloads the info once and for all for that anime only. atleast as a choice. feels it would save some bandwdth. this way it would also be upgradeable, without having to download the entire thing again.

Keep up the good work :)
Yonzie

Post by Yonzie »

In the current form, it seems to be a pain to download a whole series, 3 clicks per file and a lot of mouse movement...
It would be great with an `File/Episode summary' (`Direct download' maybe?) screen with a list of all episodes and the files for them, like the expanded view @anidb.net.

Other than that, it looks pretty nice ^_^