Disallow adding files for eps w/ airdate in future [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Elberet

Post by Elberet »

exp wrote:I mean how often does someone add such bogus files
Very seldomly, from what I've seen.
exp wrote:and would such a check really do more good than it would do harm?
No. It is in my opinion more likely that a false release/premiere/air date was set and a user is prevented from adding a legit file then the feauture will prevent a false file from being added. One might argue that if the first case occurs, submitting a change request would solve it, but the same applies to the second case. Bogus files can be deleted just as easily, while in the meantime, the legit file can be added easily without having to wait for the CREQ to be filled.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

exp wrote: this is definetly not a bug, it's a feature request at best.
I see your point, but do we really need this?
I mean how often does someone add such bogus files and would such a check really do more good than it would do harm?
Good point. That's why I offered a somewhat halfway solution like a grace period of maybe upto two months - anything before that most likely is not possibly a valid version - it usually takes up to two moths to produce/print stuff (on DVD) or to get it on a film roll.

Maybe if somebody adds such a file there could be an automated warning message sent to an admin like a creq so that it has to be granted.

I know that allowing it totally would do too much harm but on the other hand I don't want to make AniDB miss out on stuff that is "fresh and hot" and most likely wanted by lots of people. Usually if something "leaks" before the acutal release date it is at least of a medium interest to people who wait for the release. If it were unimportant, nobody would bother "leaking" it.
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

OK - it's possible to have files before the item premieres (whether theatrical, TV, or OAV), and thus it should be possible to add files before premiere date.

Maybe better than deny such action would be to warn the user that maybe the premiere date is wrong or the file isn't the actual release, but still allow the action. Hopefully this would promote creq'ing the dates and rechecking the files, as the user would have to read and extra screenful and press an extra button for the add to go through.

What prompted me to request this was that I did mistakingly add a file as wrong episode, but I did notice that when checking that the info I added was correct, removed the entry and added it under correct episode. If I had been in a hurry and wouldn't have rechecked that what I added was OK, it would've been of course noticed by someone soon, prompting a [FILE][MOVE] request that would've fixed it.
That's just one scenario where adding files to wrong episodes can occur - other could be a user adding a newly downloaded mislabeled file before he checks that the file is what the label says. Or just adding files to items that have wrong premiere dates.

Pretty much what I'd like to see is anidb notifying the user when something doesn't seem right, maybe notifying mods if the user still presses the "Yes, I know what I'm doing" -button. I asked for this because I was about to add false information, not because I would've seen a lot of false info.