Option to limit filename size

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Option to limit filename size

Post by Guest »

It would be nice to have an option to limit the length of the filename AOM will rename files it hashes. Sometimes the filenames are very long, which causes trouble with filesystems (i.e. when burning CDs).

I know I could simply change the filemask in the options, but I think such an option makes it much easier to identify files instead of just reading the episode number or whatever, even if the episode title is a bit cut off :)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'd advise you to use a different CD filesystem. Nero provides alternative CD filesystems that can handle longer filenames.
egg

Post by egg »

The trouble with just cutting it off at x characters is that you don't know what info you are cutting off... Generally the group and crc are towards the end, so generally these would be the things that would get cut off...

To make this useful you would have to have the ability to limit each part of the name for instance %20e would limit the episode title to 20 characters...

BTW, I changed my naming pattern to take out the episode title, and I have not had a problem yet burning because of the file length (I have changed other characters though).
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Or alternatively, %*xxe, where the asterisk means "shorten this part if the total filename would otherwhise be longer then xx characters.

But yeah, such a feauture isn't really necessary IMO. This is a problem with Joliet, not AOM. ;) Apart from that, I usually include the group name in the directory, not the individual files anyways...