shorter image alternative names [DENIED]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

arakell2

shorter image alternative names [DENIED]

Post by arakell2 »

this is a very simple request, would it be possible to use shorter "alt" values for images? (while leaving the "title" the same)
for example instead of "file matches official crc", just make an alt "crc", or "sub: en" instead of "sub lang: english" (as well as "asc" and "desc" for sorting lists)
i would like to see this change, because i often use a text browser (elinks) for using anidb, and these long alts really mess up the view.
and after all this will be no problem for graphical browser users, if the "titles" remain the same.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

if all graphical browsers use only the title value we could change the alt tags. (can anyone verify this?)
assuming that everyone who browses anidb with a text browser does probably know it well enough to be able to understand the short versions in the alt tags :P

BYe!
EXP
arakell

Post by arakell »

exp wrote:if all graphical browsers use only the title value we could change the alt tags. (can anyone verify this?)
afaik internet explorer is the only browser which uses ALT tags if TITLE is not there for tooltips. however it still uses TITLE if TITLE exists (no matter if ALT exists or not). i'm not sure about opera, though i doubt it would prefer ALT over TITLE.
exp wrote:assuming that everyone who browses anidb with a text browser does probably know it well enough to be able to understand the short versions in the alt tags :P
i guess there are extremely few people as crazy as i am, to use a text browser at all :D so it's quite a safe assumption :)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

According to standards, the alt property is only supposed to be used if the image cannot be displayed, i.e. because the user has disabled them or because the image could not be loaded. A suiteable alt-value for the crc-image would be "[crc-ok]", which is accessible (to screen-readers, e.g.) and sufficiently informative. Also according to standards, the title value is supposed to contain additional information about an image, but the specs don't say anything about how browsers should present that information. Tooltips are possible, but not required. In any case, all current graphical browsers will present a tooltip with the title property's value if that proeprty is present, and a few broken or "better-then-thou" browsers will use the alt property's value for the tooltip if title is not present.