AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Elberet

AOM Latest: Splashscreen???

Post by Elberet »

Please either
- make it possible to disable the splashscreen,
- or make it smaller and moveable,
- or at least make it a non-toplevel window.

I can bare with the rather longish startup time, but I at least want to do something else with my computer while I wait for AOM... :)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Umm, it shouldn't be a top level window actually.
egg

Post by egg »

It's not top level for me. When I click on it, I can start it, it's on top, but I can click something else and it will go behind. For the various updates though, when they start up, the come back to the top and I have to click on something else again to get rid of them, that gets kindof annoying after a few times.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Maybe the windowproc was busy doing something else and couldn't send the window to the background upon losing the focus. If that's the case, you might want to move whatever's taking that long into a separate worker-task...

Maybe it was just my Windows acting up, but it'd still be nice to be able to hide the splash window altogether. ^^
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I think it's ok to be able to see how long it will take untill AoM will be done starting.

I guess PetriW could disable it and simply incorporate the loading screen into the Program but frankly that would mean that the loading screen would load in AoM and that is nothing else than the splash screen just without the GFX.

The Splash Screen is not top level for me either and having it makes it possible to let AoM load in the background and once it's done you will notice because of the change in your taskbar.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

That could be done in a different way, too. For example, hide the splashscreen, start the program minimized to the tray area and implement a grayscaled version of the icon. Switch to the orange icon when it's finished doing what it's normally doing while the splashscreen is shown.

I guess I'm sort of a minimalist and quite alone with that request, tho, huh? :?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hopefully in the next version it'll disappear so fast it won't have to be changed. ;)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Hey I am not against that totally since splash screens are fixed and cannot bemoved (usually) which I too don't really like.

Additionally with the preferences I set I don't really need AoM open and I think an option to have AoM start in the background with a systray icon change when it is done would be a nice thing :)