Backup function

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Skywalka

Backup function

Post by Skywalka »

Hi there,

today has been the fourth time that an unwillingly checked checkbox in AoM caused all my "seen" info to be overwritten.

This sucks.

I would like to request the option to make backup copies of your current AniDB information and be able to revert back to an old state via AoM.

This could be easily done via adding a simple button "update information from local database" or something like that. The backup part could be done manually by simply RARing or ZIPping the AoM folder.

I would really love to re-enter the information where I have stored my files (the label of the medium I stored it on) but since this wiping of storage and "seen" information occurs too often I hesitate doing it.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Shouldn't you learn by your mistake and not do it again? :?
This feature would be looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow priority.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Undo my-last-stupid-action button? Seeing as you must keep careful track of what state changes the user makes to send the updated info to the main db, this couldn't be too hard surely? Either that or a Skywalka saftey mode, with a message box saying 'Are you sure?' before changing anything. :)

Rar
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Wouldn't be hard? It'd be freaking major pain in the ass. A "are you sure" options isn't that useful either since whatever you do would spawn one.

When you create automatic mylist update patterns know that AOM is ALPHA and know that whatever you do might seriously fuck something up. (Aka, be god damn careful. :P)

Heck, not even I dare use filemanager to update mylist entries based on path yet. :P
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Errm...

I don't quite get what you thought should happen. I did not ask to keep track of every change you made, but correct me if I am wrong:

Every time you re-install AoM, it downloads the current state of your AniDB Mylist to your computer, or doesn't it?

Now I hash everything on my computer and set the directories to automatically catch changes and auto-update my mylist on the Internet.

Is it so hard to change the way the database is updated? If AoM finds that the current entry for "storage" of let's say "3x3 Eyes Episode 1" on the local harddisc is "DVD #001" and on the internet it says "" (nothing) why is it so hard to let it automatically update the info from your local harddisc?

I just suggested that instead of filing all these changes manually again and again that AoM would do it automatically. I did not request any "undo" option, just an option to be able to make a backup of your current mylist and if you should do anything f00bar that you could go back to an earlier state without having to do everything manually.

Besides, all the changes that occured weren't _my fault_. I _thought_ that I did not do anything wrong untill I noticed AoM had _again_ changed all the "seen" stati to "unseen", of all Anime I have. I do not know _how that happened_ but something must have been checked or unchecked by me that went wrong. If all the features of AoM were totally and unmistakenly documented in some kind of FAQ or Readme, then I would not complain but I really do not know how this happened and I do not want this to be the reason for me to be forced to update all the "seen" info again and again.

I really don't know what the reason is and with a mylist of 1150 GB I guess it is understandable that it is a little bit of a pain in the ass for me to update everything manually again and again.

But you know what? I will simply add another user to AniDB and run two copies of AoM - like a test user. That should help me molto and you won't have to do anything at the moment untill you have added all the features that should be in AoM and then have time to shell out a final version :-)

Besides, if you ask me you should start thinking about a codefreeze sometime soon - you've been developing AoM for almost a year now and at a certain point there should be a point release that get's documented and bugfixed altogther with no new features added anymore.
meermanr

Post by meermanr »

Skywalka wrote:Besides, if you ask me you should start thinking about a codefreeze sometime soon - you've been developing AoM for almost a year now and at a certain point there should be a point release that get's documented and bugfixed altogther with no new features added anymore.
Hmm, I'd like to see "Add to AniDB" support, that is the main thing I wanted from a client - I always add new files to AniDB when I am the first to get them, but it is such a pain having to feed it through loads of different programs to get the SHA1 / ed2k / CRC32 and then the res / codec / bitrate..

I personally would like to see things being added. Perhaps making this open source would make bugfixing quicker? I don't know how you feel about going open source though..
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

AOM will not under any circumstances be opensource. And no matter what anyone says it won't be opensource, most certainly not in the current version since I dislike it so much.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I don't know why it should be.

If you don't want it to be open source so be it and I personally am in favour of not publishing it so people have to come here to use it and don't start their own DB.

Besides I think the progress is indicating that you are doing a fine enough job on your own. You are in no way stopping and still adding stuff every month so don't consider the above statement a vile complaint or something - since I visit the forum frequently (it's the only forum I visit at the moment) I guess I simply feel the urge to drop by now and then and dump the questions and resulting feature request off on you :-)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Well, it's better the feature requests are made than not, if you don't make them they won't be added after all. :D
I didn't deny it btw, I said it was looooow prio. ;)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

yeah and you know you always sound nicer telling us "denied" or "low priority" than exp does - but don't tell him I said that *grins*