... and demand a backup function.

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Skywalka

... and demand a backup function.

Post by Skywalka »

Implement a sequential backup system for the hashed file information.

With the automated hashin function this way if your data goes bad you can simply use a backup version and you won't have to rehash all your stuff.

Maybe this could be simply achieved by a zip function that runs every 24 hours and zips the kowai folder. Pretty simple procedure, could be done with the dos part of winzip and a single command line.

Backup strategy: each day from monday to saturday (six files)
additionally every sunday of the month (four files)
and every first of the month of a year (twelve files)

Maximum data for a 1 GB Mylist: ~600 MB
I could live with that.

Yeah I know I could back the stuff up myself but I thought we are producing a standalone version of AniDB here and that thing backs itself up too (somewhat) ^_^

I mean honestly, one day Anidb.net gets the axe and then I notice that my data has been corrupt for the two days. Without the DB running I won't be able to get all the Anime data from the server so if you ask me there has to be some sort of backup function directly within the client or as soon as anything happens to the DB (god forbid) all the work done would be m00000000t. And I'd hate that.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Not anytime soon, in the meantime I recommend you just copy your local_* files to a separate hdd whenever you've done a big update (aka when you've hashed your collection would be a good time).

If AniDB goes down while you have an unsync problem I'm certain we can find a good db with 1200 people having tried AOM. ;)

As of yet noone has encountered any problem with the local_ files and the ANIME / EP tables going unsynced is something I'm trying to trace. (Basically what happens is that for some reason 1 anime doesn't make it into the cache or is removed from it for no apparent reason, it might be an API or an AOM bug, it's completely random and ultra rare in the current dev version.)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*grmbl*

Oki I'll try to figure something out and maybe I'll post it here so anybody can use it.

I will try to use WinRAR. Better compression.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The files don't compress that well anyway due to the encryption, you save maybe 5mb.