Undo for auto-renaming [ON TODO]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Undo for auto-renaming [ON TODO]

Post by wahaha »

All I'd actually like to see is AoM storing the original filename beside the filehash, since it often includes important information that can be used to track wrong entries in the database (e.g. ep-numbers/versions, CRCs or group-tags). This information is lost when using the rename-feature though...

Since storing the filenames by itself is pretty useless, I'd like to suggest a feature on top of it: an undo-option for file-renaming. ^^;

Pro:
- It might convince most AoM-users to try the rename-feature
- The original filename can be looked up to help finding wrong information
- Doesn't need much space in the DB

Con:
...can't think of any ^^;

To not store unneccessary filenames, they should be saved directly prior to the actual renaming. That way, only known files' names would be archived.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Good suggestion, I'll see where I can cram this into my schedule. :D
egg

Post by egg »

There was already a request to have a cross reference between the related mylist entry and the file. This would accomplish the same purpose, correct?

I don't know about an "undo" to a file name, but at least have a flag, do not rename this file....

I would appreciate this for files where the episodes and files do not match up... For instance a movie that has only one episode, but the way it was put into AniDB, it lists I have episodes 9 & 10 for parts the two halves of the movie. Or in PoT or Naruto where a double episode file gets only one episode number.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

No they don't really.
The problem is the file is automatically renamed when done hashing, ie you don't even have a chance to flag the file so it won't be renamed.

I have some ideas for how to increase the functionality though:
1) Autorename option. (which is implemented)
2) Ability to rename files from a right click option in known files.
3) Ability to enter more than 2 rename patterns. Maybe more criterias for what pattern to pick.
4) Option to rename files by a pattern based on what anime, episode or anidb file they beling to.
5) Option to rename a file based on a specific pattern, this is then stored together with that specific files hash information. (This information is preserved even if you remove the file)
6) Disable autorenaming for 3 and 4.
7) Undo history of file stored based on ed2k hash, so even if you have 3 files with different file names renamed to the same name (granted they were in different directories) all three names show up in undo.
8) Not related to renaming but to point 7... Clearer notifies when you have duplicates. This is a separate feature list though.
9) More renaming patterns and functions.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

2) Ability to rename files from a right click option in known files.

ahem..this was actually my feature request, or to be more presice, right clicking will bring forth a shell menu like in eMule Plus for example
I remember that you wanted to me to make thid feature request in this forum with a screenshot of the shell menu of eMule Plus but I forgot :P
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hmm, with new db in aom right click renaming from shell should be quite trivial to implement.
Problem is then people would have to update AOMShell.dll, and only way I know how to do that is to reboot. :( Guess I should dig a little in the msdn documentation, I hope there's a way to tell explorer.exe to unload hooked dlls...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Oh and feature requests given on IRC ain't feature requests, they hints to my subconscious, cause that's where they end up after a few minutes. :roll:
yidaki

Post by yidaki »

PetriW wrote:Hmm, with new db in aom right click renaming from shell should be quite trivial to implement.
Problem is then people would have to update AOMShell.dll, and only way I know how to do that is to reboot. :( Guess I should dig a little in the msdn documentation, I hope there's a way to tell explorer.exe to unload hooked dlls...
or, you could call the newer dll for "AOMSHELL2.dll" and set windows to delete the old dll on reboot.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Lol yeah, that's a pretty good idea. :P