Duplicate files. [ON TODO]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Kerril

Duplicate files. [ON TODO]

Post by Kerril »

How does AOM handle more than one copy of the same file, irregardless of filename and location?

I have just started to use AniDB and AOM Alpha and this question has come up. I have some duplicate copies of files (the reason for joining AniDB was to prevent this) either on CD, DVD or elsewhere on HDs.

Are there any plans to indicate or handle this state?

I would really like to be able to know which two (or more) files are the same, and choose which ones to keep and which to remove. I have only added around 60% to 70% of my collection and already have 10% of AniDB on HDs alone. The rest are on CDs and DVDs and I am fairly certain I have a few duplicates from those CDs and DVDs on the local HDs.

So far, this program in conjunction with AniDB meets most of my needs and desires. I just wish a similar setup was available for manga, doujinshi and digital audio (Anime SoundTracks/OSTs and J-Pop/Rock specifically). Thank you for the great work and program.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

There is specific code for handling duplicate files actually, later it's intended that this information should be usable for such tasks as removing duplicates.
azntimm

Post by azntimm »

Somwhat related, what about duplicate entries in the 'known files' list for a single file? I renamed a file manually after I downloaded it off of BT because it didn't match the usual naming convention the group had used by a long shot (all lower case letters, brackets turned to underscores, etc.). The next time I ran a 'add directory' to my root anime directory to hash all of my new files it went and did the new one all over again. I had already added the original file to my list of 'known' files, so now two entries existed for that file even though only one file exists.

It was trivial to remove the old one because it stuck out like a sore thumb, but I can't say there aren't more that are less obvious on my list without a thorough check. Maybe it a 'Cleanup' function for the Known Files list would be nice. The easiest (least computation-intensive method) would be to just check if the files in the Known Files list still exist where there entry says they are, and remove the ones that no longer exist. Of course if you wanted to do a very thorough 'Cleanup' you could check every file you find against a hash or something, but in that case you might as well just wipe out your known files list and and readd your whole anime directory...
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

In the settings, check "verify local files on start"

It'll remove all the missing files from the known files. Beware if you have file renaming checked, it'll rename all your old file too on start up!
azntimm

Post by azntimm »

Ahh.. Thanks, I had looked into the prefs, but not too deeply I see. (Well, it's the first option on the first page of preferences.. I have no excuses. :x) But, perhaps it would be a nice option anyways, either on the Known Files screen or hidden away in the prefs somewhere so you could do it quickly without restarting your client.