[REQ] User Rankings

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

retroactiv

[REQ] User Rankings

Post by retroactiv »

What I'd like to see is a feature where the user can, in his/her own space rank their anime in order of which he/she likes them. This would also allow for more consistent ratings of anime as the user can see whether the anime deserves a certain rating based on the ratings of the surrounding anime in the rankings list. It'd also allow for better comparisons of anime and users opinions.

Not sure how you'd go about the implementation. Maybe a drag and drop interface (which would be nicer to use, but harder to make), or just a drop down list, which is populated with the anime already ranked, of which the anime is inserted above the selected anime (with a '-----------' at the end of the list for inserting the anime in last place). Those are just some ideas though.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

that's what votes are for you know
retroactiv

Post by retroactiv »

I have so many anime rated at 7.5 for example, but I'd like to be able to distinguish between them all by order.

Also noticed i posted this in the wrong area, should probably be in the other feature request forum.

Anyway just thought it'd be a nice addition.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

I think your request matches up pretty good with a request for an improved my votes page interface which was made some time ago.

It was something along the lines of having multiple up/down buttons next to each vote entry. i.e. up/down by 1 or 0,5 or 0,1 or 0,01 with multiple buttons.
That would allow users to freely sort their votes.

BYe!
EXP
czpetab

Post by czpetab »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current anidb voting system. If you use fine grain votes option (as you do), there's 21 possible values of a vote (0, 0.5, ..., 9.5, 10). It allows you to differentiate ratings by less than 5%, what more could you want? Don't tell me it's possible to objectively determine if the anime is better or worse by a percent or two.
I think the problem here is in how you rate your anime, you're probably using mostly just a small portion of the available scale. You know, not all anime belong in the 6-8 points range. I know the OP asked about his private space, but I'd say it' still best to vote well in public votes. :wink:

I have well over 500 votes, I'm not even using fine grain votes option and I believe that having just ten possibilities is good enough. I know that sometimes it is difficult to assign a vote - e.g. anime X looks it should get N points, but it's worse than anime Y or Z which you rated N too, yet it's better than anime A you rated N-1 and it all gets worse the more votes you already have. Well, life's harsh, but we have to deal with it. :)
And yes, I'm guilty of clustering my votes around 7 too.
AFAIK, even in most movie or game magazines, the rating range is usually 0-10 (or even only 1-5) points (stars).
retroactiv

Post by retroactiv »

I have no problems with the rating system. I just thought it'd be a nice addition for people who'd like to sort each of their anime into an ordered list of favourite down to least liked. Like in the way you'd like your top 5 to be in order of best to 5th best rather than alphabetically ordered as a group of 10/10s.

p.s. thanks for moving this topic to the right location.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

There are actually 19 vote options as you can't choose 0 and 0.5. However, if you really want to... you can give detailed decimal votes like 7.11, 7.12, 7.13 and so on, it's easy to give those votes using Chii on irc, as Baka tha great coda implemented it so "!vote anime 7.18" is all you need. You can also do that via web interface changing some values in vote url like this = http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... tenow=vote
Pasting that url in (or if you click on it... don't click on it :P) would give anime with the id 666 a rating of 1.99 (you need to be logged in of course) ... this is quite bothersome to do, of course...
I'd personally wait for that improved votes page interface EXP was talking about, but you can do all that now already.
retroactiv

Post by retroactiv »

I think i will wait for the improvement, as my list has about 200 anime in it :cry:. The only shame is that some of my 10s will be reduced to 9.99, 9.98 etc, but then i suppose i should save 10 for what i think is the very best anime.

Any ideas when the feature exp mentioned will be completed?
Irubataru

Post by Irubataru »

Something I would like would be to have the detailed voting system like you have when reviewing. That you can give animes different votes on animation, story etc. in your own mylist, instead of having to make a review.