Volunteer needed

old granted and denied CREQs

Moderator: AniDB

Rar
AniDB Staff

Volunteer needed

Post by Rar »

Right, I've had two people try and creq Eva ep titles in different ways, does some eager beaver want to take a look at various bits and suggest a standard format and creq the relevant bits?
Particularly fun as it does a sometimes translation/sometimes not of the title in english halfway. Others that have done similar things are Gunslinger Girl and Chrno Crusade, though neither of those is exactly pretty atm.

Ep list:
http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/eva/story.html

Are these the R1 titles?
http://www.tv.com/neon-genesis-evangeli ... guide.html

Rar
Amour

Post by Amour »

IF you follow THE RULES of the FIRST LIST of episode TITLES, then it will BE a random MIX of capital WORDS and SMALL words...

So I vote for the second list.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Yeah, who cares about Gainax? I bet they are just some fanboys who finally learned how to make a website.

"使徒、襲来 / ANGEL ATTACK" for japanese,
"Shito, shuurai / ANGEL ATTACK" for romaji
"/" - because "-" is used in Tokyo-3, for example.
English either follows same format, translating everything or uses official names from R1. AFAIR, first is prefered.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

rowaasr13 wrote:English either follows same format, translating everything or uses official names from R1. AFAIR, first is prefered.
english ep titles are to be taken from official (read r1) source if possible.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Hm, I vaguely remember similar thread about some anime somewhere, where "to hell with R1 - they don't know anything" or something like that was the final. Well, ok, R1 then.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

But... how sure are we that those *are* the R1? I had no luck finding an official looking list.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I guess easiest way is just to check it in video in some R1 rips. I have some, AFAIR, but only for a few first episodes. I see if I can find them on my old CDs.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

rowaasr13 wrote:Hm, I vaguely remember similar thread about some anime somewhere, where "to hell with R1 - they don't know anything" or something like that was the final. Well, ok, R1 then.
that was about the NAME of a charatcer, which was utter crap. changing names is bleh even if it's the "official english title"
anyone who changes names of characters should get shot on sight
Amour

Post by Amour »

I agree with you The Idiot.
Thibi

Post by Thibi »

ep title 1-5 : http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56180

I checked the dvd-rips AnimeCorp (those english text was given as image, not sub/sofsub) & same as on http://rg.thetyrant.net/index.php?p=viewtitle&ID=103 , I looked at a2000a releases as well (remastered eps) but there was the ep title giving in kanji, not in english:

Those eptitles are from the not remastered nge version, should be weird if they different (AnimeCorp):

-01- Angel Attack
-02- Unfamiliar Ceiling / The BEAST
-03- A Transfer The Phone That Never Rings
-04- Rain, Escape & Afterwards Gedgehog's Dillema
-05- Rei Beyond her Heart
-06- Showdown in Tokyo 3
-07- The Human Creation
-08- Asuka Strikes
-09- With One Accord in a Flash
-10- Magma Diver
-11- In the Still Darkness
-12- The Value of a Miracle is...
-13- Angel Invasion
-14- SEELE, Throne of Souls
-15- Lie and Silence
-16- Sickness, Unto Death, And...
-17- The 4th Child
-18- The Judgment of Life
-19- A Man's Fight
-20- Form of the Mind, Form of the Man
-21- The Birth of Nerv
-22- At Least, be Humane
-23- Rei III
-24- The Final Messenger
-25- The World Ending
-26- The Beast that Shouted 'I' at the Heart of the World
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

rowaasr13 wrote:Yeah, who cares about Gainax? I bet they are just some fanboys who finally learned how to make a website.
In fact, they're fanbois who learnt to make anime. Doesn't say anything about whether we need to adhere to their typography on a particular page when copying titles.

Thanks Thib, I thought I didn't remember double titles from the R1 rips. Question kinda remains as to what the best thing to do here is though...

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Rar wrote:In fact, they're fanbois who learnt to make anime.
I knew somebody would say that.
Rar wrote:Doesn't say anything about whether we need to adhere to their typography on a particular page when copying titles.
Not related to this particular change, but go and make your own anime, just like those fanboys. Then, of course, you can decide that for your own titles.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

Having been one of those change requestors, I admit that Evangelion titles are a tricky thing, as some of the official English translations are nonsense given the content of the series ("Neon", for example, and the English title of episode 9) or even untranslatable (such as episode 26, which won't retain its ambiguity in the English version). My information source being Wikipedia, which of course has no normative power for this issue (while providing reasonable information about it). I'm fine with any significant improvement compared to the current situation, that's why I revoked my change requests.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

there done. changed the few titles that ddin't match what thibi posted