avdump 0.30 ignores delay, warns of mismatch in track length

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

taltamir

avdump 0.30 ignores delay, warns of mismatch in track length

Post by taltamir »

I noticed that avdump constantly warns on my files (mkv, where there is no junk padding but metadata delay) that the audio tracks are shorter by 0.X seconds then the video track. I am guessing this means it ignores the delay info in the mkv, is that correct? just thought I might point that out as a possible bug report.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i'm not exactly sure what you mean, but it's supposed to warn if the duration given in the header (container) is different from the video duration. not that it matters; video duration is used by default anyway.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

what i mean is that silence in the beginning is removed by the audio encoder causing the audio track to be "shorter", but it is replaced with a metadata note to have a delay of X ms before starting to play the audio... the delay adds up with the actual audio to the same size. Its an encoding technique that saves space, but unless metadata is consulted it seems as the audio is shorter then the video, when it really isn't.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

afaicr it's not reporting audio vs video duration diff. (it's video vs "container")
anyway, audio duration is only used to calculate audio bitrates -> start delay is irrelevant (ie. should be ignored)