AOM 0.5.6.241 and br tags is description

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

TechnoMage

AOM 0.5.6.241 and br tags is description

Post by TechnoMage »

can the br tags in the descriptions be changed to new lines, or just removed.
your reading a description and suddenly <br />
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Will be fixed in 0.6 I think.
TechnoMage

Post by TechnoMage »

0.6 is missing everything i use. not usefull to me at all.
0.5 has almost everything i need, except
1. the fact it wont run on 2003 and vista
2. i cant seem to change an episode from HDD to CD
3. rename using hashes from the stored database
4. not try to connect to the net on startup
5. add a episode thats not listed or named yet on anidb
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

1. Who needs Win 2003 or Vista(Longhorn) by that system requierments, a Linux version would be more needed
2. but it works!
3. very low priority after my opinion
4. I think it's good, but yes it takes some time to test if there a connection available
5. I don't know, never used over AOM, I think it will be supoorted in 0.6

P.S.: I'm no anidb mod or simelar, so take not all too serious from me.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

1. No idea why it wouldn't do that but once Vista is released I'll make sure it works. Linux people will get aom.6 if it works in wine, not if not. You chose Linux, not I.
2. You can't set episodes to a state, only mylist entries. Just like on anidb. This is because people abused the feature.
3. no idea what you're talking about, it sure renames based on hashes.
4. no priority, there's an offline mode at least. The client is not meant to be used without an internet connection.
5. Already implemented since a very long time ago.
worf

Post by worf »

TechnoMage wrote:0.6 is missing everything i use. not usefull to me at all.
0.5 has almost everything i need, except
1. the fact it wont run on 2003 and vista
BS. AoM 0.5.241 or whatever version is currently out works under 2003. Been using it for ages now. Even the older versions of AoM were working under 2003

Post by Guest »

1. I was talking about offline renaming, using the saved database
2. I use AOM off line all the time, its like having a copy of anidb, to bad i have to open every anim to get the pics downloaded
3. AOM has neaver worked properly on 2003, even on XP it crashes / freezes, but very rarly on xp. vista is based on 2003, and yes AOM freezes faster than on 2003

4. If it wasent for the fact the tcp api is closed, and aom source is not available to me, i would rewrite it in dot net 2.0, then when mono gets upgraded, even unix and apple people can use it. And it would not have freezing problems.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Anonymous wrote:and aom source is not available to me, i would rewrite it in dot net 2.0
If you realized how much work that would be I bet you'd take back that statement. Aom is written in delphi anyway so having access to the source wouldn't help you much, especially the aom.5 source which was made for a database with 30000 file entries, not 190000+ files. The reason aom.5 uses so much memory for example is it uses classes, yes you heard it right, the class overhead is most of the memory usage...
And aom.6 is developed in a way that can't easily be translated to .net, thus that won't help much either. So if you wish to write something, feel free to do so, I'll help and if you ask for it exp will share the tcp api with you.

I've seen statements like yours before, so far none who have attempted the climb has even gotten far enough to release something even capable of displaying the data like aom.6 does. I understand not liking aom.5, I haven't either since anidb passed 80k files or so but it's still "usable". ;)

There was actually a .net client by someone else before there was aom, it was so slow I created aom. Fresh update from the db took 30 minutes on my machine when we were at 10k files or so, aom takes a while but not that long and it has 20 times as much to parse.

Anyway, aom.6 is being developed to address all that crap, not because I can remove features people use... It doesn't lock up, it doesn't use loads of ram, it seems to work in wine, etc.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

.net is a piece of shit, only thing worse are these barely literate tards who whine about how aom isn't open source but haven't even got the ability to write a little something with the udp.

Rar
kidan

Post by kidan »

Rar's opinion on .NET is shit.

You cannot jugde a framework in a general statement. .NET has some glitches but enables you to pick the language, which is best suited for the task you try to complete. And especially for complex web-appications .NET with a decent OR-mapper kicks php's and MySQL's ass. (Yes, you can run .NET on apache or even better on a lightweight webserver especially developed for .NET/mono.
TechnoMage

Post by TechnoMage »

UDP is easy to do in dot net. Its just the udp api is only good if you want to use mylist, it cant access other parts, in other words you cant make aom with it.
And as for speed, i translated a dot net 1.1 program to 2.0 and got a 1000% speed increse.
Most things are built in to dot net 2.0, which makes it real easy to wipe up a what once was a complex program.

If an alternative to AOM is made it must follow these rulz
database encryption
low memory usage
fast speed
cant use MySQL, it forces open source on your project
is not alowed to be open source
can't be easy to get the database encryption key

if the UDP api is upgraded i will be happy to make a UDP version of AOM 0.5, i always help with things that help me.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The UDP API was never meant to be something similar to the TCP API though, in the beginning it was just some way to see notifies.
It'll never get many of the features available in the TCP API since then it'd be too easy to rip AniDB.