Serious problem with the newst client.

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

nstgc

Serious problem with the newst client.

Post by nstgc »

The newest release of AOM makes it so that every time I try to load a program (even if you go strait to the execuatable) AOM Will load instead. however, loading CMD seems to close AOM.

[edit] It came up in the Box Torrent's forum that I have this program (firefox) running. Any program that was already running is fine. Still, I can only load outlook for some reason. Even CMD doesn't load.

Here is the topic in that forum: http://forums.boxtorrents.com/viewtopic ... 973#497973

[edit2] I was so pissed off I forgot to read the stickies, I feel like just a n00b. Well, the link given doesn't work and I don't know how to get onto the IRC channel so I'll leave this here. Sorry.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Uh..... How the hell did you accomplish this?
Seriously, AOM has no functionality to accomplish this unless you lack default actions on all commands.
Also, there's NOTHING WHATSOEVER new in the 0.5.6 client that could cause this, aka if you didn't have a problem before you shouldn't have one now.

What version of windows do you have?
How and where did you install aom?

Could you please provide registry dumps of the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

To launch regedit just click the run item in the start menu then type:
regedit

Temporarily IF IT'S CAUSED BY AOM you might solve it by running this command from the command line (click run the type cmd and click ok):
regsvr32.exe /s /u "C:\pathtoaom\AOMShell.dll"

Most likely however you've somehow for some reason associated all exe files with aom, how or why you did this I have no idea but that's what this sounds like and AOM cannot do that, it simply doesn't contain any code that possibly could do that.
Last edited by PetriW on Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

And since the chance of you actually being able to launch regedit on your own is virually 0 as I've been told by numerous people now:

Press Windows+E.
Go to the tools menu.
Click Folder options.
Select the File Types tab.
Select the EXE extension in the list then click the Delete button

Post by Guest »

So this isn't some massive bug that would have effected everyone. Ok, so I'm special.

The reason I had blamed all this on AOM is becuase it started as soon as I first ran AOM and AOM is what is being loaded every time.
As you suspect, I cannot get to reg edit.

I restarted my instalation of XP SP1 and nothing works beside Firefox, outlook and the shell. I will try removing the association when I reboot under that OS.
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

I forgot that I don't have a cookie for this site on that install.

Well I tried what you said using my now barron computer, but there was no entry for .exe. Also, Firefox is an executable as well yet I can load it without incident. The same goes for outlook and the shell.

Can I edit my registry under a different install of windows becuase I have 3 installs of 2 operatings systems just for this reason (actualy linux is there in hopes of me one day being able to chuck MS out the window).
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

You said above you can launch CMD.

Do that and type:
regsvr32 /u "C:\pathtoaom\AOMShell.dll"

With the path modified to your aom folder of course.

If that doesn't work type:
regedit

Then export the following nodes and post:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

Reinstalling xp shouldn't be necessary.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

And oh yeah, try this:
Press Windows+E.
Go to the tools menu.
Click Folder options.
Select the File Types tab.
Select the LNK extension in the list then click the Delete button
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

I can't launch CMD.

Also, while I did check the associations with .exe earlier, at this moment, that tab doesn't appear. It has disappeared on me. It was there a few minutes ago though.

May I ask what a LNK file is?

[edit] trying (I didn't succed) to launch CMD ended up closing AOM in one instance. If an LNK file is a shortcut file, I would just like to say once more that I tried going strait to the executables.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

A LNK file is a link file, aka a shortcut file.
Since you can launch some executables I guess it might be the lnk extension you've fubared.

You're not telling me how you're launching anything btw, I'm just trying various stupid solutions that might have some effect or no.

Have you tried launching cmd from run in the start menu?
Have you tried launching cmd from the start menu? (Called command or something)
Have you tried launching cmd from explorer? (cmd.exe in the windows/system32 folder)
Have you tried launching cmd.exe from the task manage?
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

And as I wrote in my edit, I can go strait to the executables and get the same result.

Is there a possibility that a virus might be doing this? Thats what I guess is left, but I ran a scan last night from my other installation and came up empty handed.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Since you have not told me exactly what you've done and what you've not done I don't know how to help you.
Antono

Post by Antono »

@nstgc

Once you've (hopefully) regained computer functionality, please be sure to change the name of the topic you've posted in the Boxtorrents forum. :!:

"DO NOT GET AniDB O'Matic 0.5.6" is not polite for PetriW who has not only offered us a great program but is also very patiently helping you fix a problem for which AniDB is not responsible.

Post by Guest »

fixed in boxtorrents

[indy]Muaddib, senior mod
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Anonymous wrote:fixed in boxtorrents

[indy]Muaddib, senior mod
Thanks, I appreciate it. :D
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

I'm sorry for any disrespect, but since the problem arose immediately after "intstalling" AOM and simptomes involved AOM, I thought it was some serious bug. I was going to post on box as a warning, and here for help. No, this is no one's responsibility if it is not a bug, but if it is, then the responsibility lies with the group (AniDB) and creater (PetriW). I would also responsibility to make sure no one else has the same problem by warning people (the primary reason was not tech support). Given what I knew, you can't blame me for thinking that AOM was causing everything.

Antono, I don't know who you are, and with my luck your some Box mod, but it you who is being presumptous and rude. Apart from my bold title on Box, I have given no indication of "rude" finger pointing and I too have paiteint. I gave a short describption of my problem and I didn't make demands.

As soon as Box's servers are back up, I will change the title since it seems as though this is not a AOM bug. Also I will try to fix my computer so that I don't have to use one any longer then I must.

Thank you to all who helped, and Antono, get a clue. (I will not denie being rude to Antono, but this level of rudeness is deserved).