[AOM 0.5.3.235] crashes & locks up XP SP2 *HARD* [NOBUG]

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

MO-Pantsu

[AOM 0.5.3.235] crashes & locks up XP SP2 *HARD* [NOBUG]

Post by MO-Pantsu »

AOM keeps crashing on me when selecting files in the known file list or sometimes when expanding the listings in MyList. If I kill it in task manager and relaunch it it opens up again fine. But trying to do anything causes it to crash again. I try to launch it a third time and it will not launch. Sits in task manager using 100% CPU and if you kill it Explorer goes into 100% CPU. If you kill Explorer and relaunch explorer.exe Explorer continues to use 100% CPU and the only recourse is to reboot. I have tried on a fresh install of the latest AOM and it continually does this.

Perhaps there is another process still locked that AOM is using that is not getting killed when I kill AOM in task manager? If it's that what is it so I can try to kill it and stop it from locking up XP Explorer!
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Revert to AOM 0.5.1.219 and does the problem still occur? To be honest, just sounds like general XP Explorer rot, you're probably due a clean install.

Rar
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

If a problem like this persist even after you close AoM you have hardware problems, almost certainly one of your disks is faulty. Run chkdsk with surface scan on all your drives where you have hashed files.
If you want to know the specific file which has "issues" use a tool such as Iarsn TaskInfo and check what files AoM have opened.

And the computer should start responding after 5-20 minutes once Windows gets a clue and stops trying to read the sector.

Post by Guest »

I've shunted AOM onto another drive but it's not the drive per se anyhow as I know there is a problem with the NTFS's indexes on C: so it may be that causing probs. The drive itself is fine as I replicated a drive image to a tested good drive and it carried the indexing problem along with it to the other drive and the drive test tools supplied by the HD manu's checkout on both drives.

I'm using the preview version of AOM 0.6 for the moment but might go back and try again a bit later on using a different drive.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Don't report bugs that occur on faulty hardware / known crap disks. *locking*