[AOM 0.5.1-4] stuck with 100% CPU usage [FIXED]

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

jcd4878 wrote:It's back!

Having major problems with AOM 0.5.5.240 everytime I go to scan new files, some random time after the scan is done, the program goes to 100% CPU usage/

Upon killing the program, the 100% usage transfers to Dr Watson, when I kill that it transfers to explorer.exe, and after killing that and restarting explorer.exe I finally am rid of the 100% usage issue and the computer runs fine until I go run AOM again, at which point this happens again.

It is 100% repeatble on my system, I can crash it everytime.

-Jerry
Well, if it's repeatable you should be able to find what file causes it.
jcd4878

Post by jcd4878 »

PetriW wrote:
jcd4878 wrote:It's back!

Having major problems with AOM 0.5.5.240 everytime I go to scan new files, some random time after the scan is done, the program goes to 100% CPU usage/

Upon killing the program, the 100% usage transfers to Dr Watson, when I kill that it transfers to explorer.exe, and after killing that and restarting explorer.exe I finally am rid of the 100% usage issue and the computer runs fine until I go run AOM again, at which point this happens again.

It is 100% repeatble on my system, I can crash it everytime.

-Jerry
Well, if it's repeatable you should be able to find what file causes it.
Okay let me reiterate, the files I am scanning are different every time, the scan works, the files are entered into AniDB, but sometime afterwards, when I click on anything, the file menu, the mylist menu, etc. the AOM window's menu bar blanks to white and 100% usage occurs. When I kill the app (end task) then the Dr Watson crash reporting tool loads and it goes to 100% usage, then when I end task dr watson, explorere.exe goes to 100%, when I end task that, my desktop disappears and then I use the task manager to start a new instance so my desktop comes back. Finally at this point the 100% thing goes away.

There is something wrong with AOM, this only happens with AOM, I am just trying to tell you the bug is not fixed, it is still present on my system. I know my system is stable, I can run it for months on end without rebooting, as long as I don't ever run AOM. Its a 24/7 system that is never turned off. If you have any suggestions of what I may try to narrow down the thing that causes to crash AOM, I will give it a try. Is it the animes in mylist? Is it some kind of corrupted cache file used by AOM? I am not sure what files I can safely delete to cause AOM to rebuild its database?

-Jerry
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

What you're describing is not related to the issue discussed in this thread, most likely it's something else on your computer that causes it. Especially if explorer.exe uses 100% cpu after you close aom.

To clear the aom cache you should delete all files in the kowai folder except the ones which start with local_*.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Is this program written in delphi, its seriously unstable.
It randomly freezes, using up all of one processor, you can be just clicking the menu, scrolling a list, searching, adding, and it freezes anywhere it feels like.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Techno Mage wrote:Is this program written in delphi, its seriously unstable.
It randomly freezes, using up all of one processor, you can be just clicking the menu, scrolling a list, searching, adding, and it freezes anywhere it feels like.
Doesn't for me and there's not enough information to see what's wrong for you.
Most likely you're updating from AniDB at the moment it "freezes", which will appear like it will miss a mouse click or if you have an ungodly slow computer like a small stumble.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Computer P4 3GHz HT, 1GB RAM, Windows 2003 SP1

No it was not updating, i always wait for the updating to finish, dont want to corrupt it.

It just crashes any where as if the program was made with delphi.

I myself are a high level programmer, so if you need me to run any sort of test, just say so.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Site is down, don't use AOM or any of the other clients till we get it happy again.

Rar
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Techno Mage wrote:It just crashes any where as if the program was made with delphi.
You're quite alone there I think. I don't get many crash reports anymore, more like almost none except that sometimes some people get them in the log due to corruption.
The only difference between a delphi program and most other programs is that a delphi program can handle it's exceptions, most other software just bombs out.
Techno Mage wrote:I myself are a high level programmer, so if you need me to run any sort of test, just say so.
Then maybe you should check your hardware, or your error reporting skills.

No serious, your error reports so far are USELESS, they don't help me tracking down what's wrong. "crashes anywhere" doesn't mean anything beyond that you're having some unspecified problem, heck the term crash is so loosly defined I can't even ascertain where you're having problem, and with what and what kind of problem it is in the first place. AOM is a freaking huge amount of code, I can't magically divine in it to plot user errors from vague reports.

I have delphi software deployed on several thousand computers and I've never heard of anyone experiencing "random crashes" just because it's a delphi application.

And the api is down so it's not working atm anyway.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Delphi programs will crash, and do strange things on any multi cpu or HT computer running windows XP or above, its a known fact, it gets stuck in deadlock in its threading. I stoped using it because of this problem.

And it does randomly freezup any where in the program

Places of freezup
-------------------
Selecting anime
clicking + on anime
using scroll bar
same for my list
same for add list
searching
Adding files
Clicking menu items

Freezes related to - It seems anthing mouse related

Occurance - Random

versions of AOM affected - All
Current version - 240
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i don't think it has anything to do with HT. i'm running it on P4 2.8 HT. no problems. maybe it has something to do with Windows (Server) 2003 SP1? dunno, never used it.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Seems to work fine if i turn off HT

Ile just have to run it on a old single processor computer then

good luck getting it to work on windows vista

The delphi bug is in version 7 or 8 and below
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Does it affect aom 0.6 builds? that's made in Delphi 2005.

And fyi I run the thing on a P4 HT 2.8ghz with WinXP, and HT is enabled. I think it's your computer that has something that doesn't work well with delphi apps, not HT+XP. If it was HT+XP there would have been an update from borland already.

If you think HT is to blame just set processor affinity to cpu 1, very easy to automate it if you're a high level programmer.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Seems i was just lucky the time i tryed it with HT turned off, it does it there to

I tryed setting the affinity to 1 cpu, and it still froze, but when i end tasked it, the cpu usage moved to explorer, then another program, in the end a restart of my server was needed.

been trying it on my 1cpu xp laptop and it works fine there for more than a day of non stop testing. But all my anime is on my server, where i run Net TV

i tryed to run the 0.6 version
i get this error Illegal input in user information, please make sure you use only ascii characters!

i have a us keyboard, and use only keyboard letters for my username and password

With what little i can access with 0.6, being no anime listed or anything else, no frezing as of yet.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Oh well, the threading in 0.6 is much better done so I'll hope that fixes it once I get around to making it good enough. ;)
I recommend trying out WebAOM, maybe it'll do what you need.

AOM is kind of in a low atm due to lack of time, I still work on it but it's slow.
Techno Mage

Post by Techno Mage »

Realy im after a program to auto name my files, ready for Net TV, but i gess ile have to make it myself

Thanks anyway, its a usefull program, especialy when anidb goes down.