Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

meermanr

[AOM 0.5.1.219] Theme-related feedback [NOBUG]

Post by meermanr »

I'm really happy to see that AOM works with non-standard themes, and I was very pleased to read a request for feedback on themes in the changelog.

While this is not a bug report, here is some feedback on my inverted theme (white text on a black background, used for night viewing).

I've included a screenshot to make it more obvious.
  • The menubar (File, AniDB, etc) uses the normal foreground colour, on a hard-coded background. In my case this means white text on a cream background, which is hard to read.
  • The status bar appears to be using some hard-coded colour for it's text, I know status bars can be tricky things, but as you can see it's almost impossible to read on my current settings.
  • While not shown on the screen shot, hoving my cursor over an episode title in the MyList view makes it hard to read, as it becomes a dark-blue hyperlink. This may well be using the same colour as my progress bars; I'm not sure.
Anyways, that's all I have to say about colour-related issues I've noticed. :)

Screenshot: http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucfm/AOM_colours.gif

Notes:
  • The extra title-bar button in the top-right are part of my Multi-monitor set up (expand to desktop, move to other monitor)
  • I use 3D Colour Changer 3000 (link is down as I post) with a couple of profiles to quickly switch between colour themes, and I recommend it. My black theme is avilable here.
Edit: Corrected "top-left" to "top-right" in first note.
Last edited by meermanr on Fri May 28, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The menubar (File, AniDB, etc) uses the normal foreground colour, on a hard-coded background. In my case this means white text on a cream background, which is hard to read.
0.6 uses a new menu that I hope will fix this.
The status bar appears to be using some hard-coded colour for it's text, I know status bars can be tricky things, but as you can see it's almost impossible to read on my current settings.
Weird, I'll look into it.
While not shown on the screen shot, hoving my cursor over an episode title in the MyList view makes it hard to read, as it becomes a dark-blue hyperlink. This may well be using the same colour as my progress bars; I'm not sure.
Ok, I'll disable hottrack for mylist too, just a miss atm.
meermanr

Post by meermanr »

Interestingly, I've just noticed that the status bar looks ok now I have re-opened AOM.

I guess this means it captures the system colours on lauch and then uses this 'cached' value. I've expeimented with this a bit and found that this is the case, and it also appears to capture the 'progress bar background' colour too.

I switch colour schemes dynamically ( going to standard colours when a website doesn't support mine, and when I use an application which hoplessly fails at being useable in my colours ).

Hmm, I guess I can't complain that AOM wasn't coded with people changing colour scheme every 10min in mind :wink: I'll be very happy to see the menu bar and hotlink problems dissapear, the rest will be up to me sticking to one colour scheme I guess!

Thanks for the quick response btw, I really appreciate all the effort you're putting into this tool, and I'm converting all my friends to using it.