[AOM] Auto-file-renaming far too active [FIXED]

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

wahaha
AniDB Staff

[AOM] Auto-file-renaming far too active [FIXED]

Post by wahaha »

I enabled auto-file-renaming the last time I ran the client [3.6.168] and forgot to disable it afterwards.

The next time I started the client, it froze for some minutes while it went to rename all known files - and to be honest, this isn't really what I wanted it to do... I doubt this is the desired behaviour :?

"Automatically rehash updated files" was enabled, I think this may be one of the causes.

(At least, thanks to the log, the renaming is somewhat undoable already ^^)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

It is actually the desired behaviour IF "Verify all known files" is enabled.
Automatic rehash... Hmm, does that even work?
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

PetriW wrote:It is actually the desired behaviour IF "Verify all known files" is enabled.
Was disabled... :?
PetriW wrote:Automatic rehash... Hmm, does that even work?
No, not in terms of rehashing changed files, but...

To reproduce it:
Emptied database, set: renaming off, verify off, rehash on
-> Hashed a file, enabled renaming afterwards and exited AoM
-> Next AoM-start: the file is renamed during the "Loading local files"-phase.

I couldn't disable the rehashing as the setting isn't stored (defaults to enabled whenever I open the options)...

So in my case, it leads to automatic renaming of all known files once I start AoM with "automatically rename local files" enabled. That's a nasty thing IMO, especially as it's not undoable without the logfile*.

*) I'm once more glad that I did save it... ^^;
egg

Post by egg »

I was similarly surprised when it renamed everything on me when I reloaded AOM. Rather than try to go back and rename things again, I changed the Format until I found something I liked.

Unfortunately there are still a few quircks, mostly with cases where there are multiple files for an episode [movies] or when there are multiple episodes for a file. Another one that causes some trouble is .hack//... These end up starting with a dot '.' which causes problems for some programs. That is why a exclude for renaming feature would be nice in the program (I know, it's in another thread).

Maybe there should be a warning to users when they turn on the feature. Or a separate setting to rename existing files, without this turned on, AOM would only rename new files. Even after the initial renaming, every once in a while files get renamed automatically because of a change (Anime Titles, ...).
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Ok, I'll work through automatic renaming for the next release, the current implementation is there basically because I needed it for my own renaming. ;)
Even after the initial renaming, every once in a while files get renamed automatically because of a change (Anime Titles, ...).
This is why it's "automatic" renaming, purpose is the name should be updated if the anime/episode/file/group/etc is updated.

As for .hack yes I know about that and am thinking about a good way to solve that, maybe en option to select an alternate title or something for the renamer to pick. New "db" format let's me do stuff like that easy and without overhead for people who don't use it.