Creating CSS for AniDB

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

DvdKhl

Creating CSS for AniDB

Post by DvdKhl »

I've picked up interest in making a AniDB style.
Now I'm wondering where to start:

Should I just take the standard AniDB style
http://www.anidb.net/css/anidbstyle/anidbstyle.css
and work my way through it or is there a template
which I should download for this?

I already startet to change the formating of the standart CSS file to my preferences and splitting it up into several files.

So before I continue I want to know if there is such a thing,
because I'd rather work with that one then.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

and yeah it's recommended you pick one of them as a basefile. that way you can still support pages you don't see or might forget. instead of not styling them at all
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

we were planning to release the raw css file structure as tarballs or maybe set up a cvs. might happen soon..
DvdKhl

Post by DvdKhl »

Well I tried my best but since my experience with image-editing and etc is very limited,
I could only manage to cut & paste and edit some images for the Navigation & Banner.
I'm still working on these parts but have yet to come up with a good idea.

If your're still interested have a look:
http://arokh.dnsalias.org/AniDB/Styles/ ... review.jpg
http://arokh.dnsalias.org/AniDB/WHR.css
dizzy

Post by dizzy »

I need help.
When i tried to commit the changes via SVN, it asked me for username/password. I dotn have one so how can i commit my own CSS style?
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

@DvdKhl

it's abad idea to use one of the flat css and edit it to do your changes. it's way better if you just import the file and then overwrite the values. otherwise you end up with stale flags, icons and stuff. pathes change, so do icons and you have to manually edit that later then. like currently your css is quite outdated because of tons of recent changes. as you based your css on harustyle i recommen you to import that one in the svn and then overwrite the parameter you want to change like color and pics.
has also the nice sideeffect that we host the css then for you ;)

@dizzy
you have to send exp a pm for an useraccount. the svn is read only via anonymous access.
dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Thank you, De Idiot, I'm working on it ;)

Uhm btw, how can i preview my work? do i have to save every pages on the inet and preview them?
ricce

Post by ricce »

dizzy wrote:Uhm btw, how can i preview my work? do i have to save every pages on the inet and preview them?
Save a generated page to hdd (file->save as..., or something like that depending on your browser). then change the css URL in that page to point to your local copy.
dizzy

Post by dizzy »

ricce wrote: Save a generated page to hdd (file->save as..., or something like that depending on your browser). then change the css URL in that page to point to your local copy.
Well so i have to save every pages. Thankyou.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Or just set the css for anidb to an url of yours. Like http://dizzy.dyndns.org/anidb.css
edokun

Post by edokun »

Hello,
I started playing with my own css stylesheet too and I'm having problems with the @import.
I thought that it would be a good idea to start using the anidbstyle as basis, so I downloaded the entire css tree from the websvn, created my own project folder under the css folder and tried to add this to my css file:

@import "../sub/gray/main.css" ;

just like what anidbstyle.css does. I saved a generated page on my hdd and linked it to my css file but it doesn't work at all and I can't figure out why. I can import from css files under the same folder but not outside it. Please, could someone help me? I'm sorry if this is a basic thing, I'm just trying to learn something new. :oops:
---------------------------
EDIT: I guess I figured it out myself. It really looks like @import does only work with files in the same folder. The workaround I found was to use the cssmerge python script to merge all the css files in one.
b1nh

Post by b1nh »

@edokun:
It is definitely possible to import css-files from other folders, since i'm also doing that in my css.
edokun

Post by edokun »

b1nh wrote:@edokun:
It is definitely possible to import css-files from other folders, since i'm also doing that in my css.
Well, it doesn't work for me and I can't figure out why. If I try to import css-files from other folders it doesn't work, but if I move these files to the same folder it works. 8O
Note that I'm not hosting my css files at the anidb repository, I'm making my tests locally on my hdd.
MostAwesomeDude

Post by MostAwesomeDude »

edokun wrote:
b1nh wrote:@edokun:
Well, it doesn't work for me and I can't figure out why. If I try to import css-files from other folders it doesn't work, but if I move these files to the same folder it works. 8O
Note that I'm not hosting my css files at the anidb repository, I'm making my tests locally on my hdd.
You're using Firefox/Seamonkey/Iceweasel? Last I checked, there is a security policy in Firefox that prevents local folders outside of scope from being imported or referenced. For example, say I had an HTML page in /home/mad/htdocs, and I imported a CSS file from that folder. That's fine. But, if I tried to import one from /home/mad, that would trigger the secpol, and the CSS wouldn't load right.

On Windows, try *shudder* IE. On Mac, Safari; on Linux, either Nautilus or Konqueror.