Getting Anime Description Paragraph

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

OwnPie

Getting Anime Description Paragraph

Post by OwnPie »

I've read through the API spec on the wiki pages and I can't seem to find any information about querying the AniDB for that particular piece of information. (the description of the anime / story and such)

I can do this correctly of course:

Code: Select all

Getting info about Naruto...
Response:
230 ANIME
239|0|197|37|0|0|822|5360|764|42|2002-2006|TV|Naruto|ナルト|||ntv'naruto tv||Alternative,Past,Martial Arts,Action,Evolving,Ninjas,People,Shounen,Super Power,Manga,Serial,Slapstick,Drama
Can anyone tell me how to get that other info? Or is it not possible?
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

> ANIME aname=ntv&acode=65536
< 230 ANIME
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/naruto/
you can build the acode like this:

int acode = 1<<20|1<<21|1<<22; // romaji|kanji|english
OwnPie

Post by OwnPie »

Thanks for the reply, but that list (the acode list) doesn't have the field I am looking for... as far as I can tell...

Take the ever popular Naruto example again:

On the page http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... me&aid=239

There is this piece of text:
Naruto closely follows the life of a boy who is feared and detested by the villagers of the hidden leaf village of Konoha. The distrust of the boy has little to do with the boy himself, but it’s what’s inside him that causes anxiety. Long before Naruto came to be, a Kyuubi (demon fox) with great fury and power waged war taking many lives. ... etc.
So, how do I get that text?

Also, I managed to get

555 BANNED
Flooding. (Only ONE datagram per 2 sec)
while looking at the different results for each acode value because, like the noob I am I forgot to put in a delay... :cry:

How do I un-ban myself? I promise never to do it again! :oops:
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

sorry, i didn't read properly. no, you can't get the description atm. i didn't add it because it's the field most likely to extend 1400 bytes, but.. i guess i could..

you're only temporary banned. just take a break in the sun or read the spec again
OwnPie

Post by OwnPie »

Cool, thanks for all the help. 8)

Just a suggestion about the description field, although you might have a better idea having actually developed the system:

I know you've already hit 32 bits on the acode parameters so maybe a different structure would be used. What about splitting the description into multiple response datagrams resulting in 2 new API "commands"?

One to count the number of fragments and another to request a specific numbered fragment.