New animepage, beta1

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

New animepage, beta1

Post by fahrenheit »

Latest update: 23:52 11.03.2007 (GMT)

Update: I'll not be working on this project anymore, i lack the will to continue. Sorry to all the interested. I expect someone will actualy produce something it'll just not be me. Found some interest..

Hi all, i would like some input on users about the new anime page here:

First a list of new features:
groupList wrote:* Languages of a group (won't be sorted by jap first, mind you)
* release info of each group (hover on the state col)
* more complete group file info: *1-2,4,6-24*
* hide/show all/specific group/no groups
* filter groups by state
* some icons instead of text
* sub groups on a new table (not final)
episodeList wrote:* Episode votes icon and episode comments icon
* alternative episode title on hover
fileList wrote:* File type col with file information on hover icon
* more information on video, audio and subtitle streams (on hover icon)
* currently there are two options to show file relations:
** simple file relation, if a file has relations you can expand the file relations
** pseudoFIles, builds a new file from related files
other wrote:* costumizable ed2k link with pattern support, with 30+ available patterns and *IF* like clauses
* perferend file languages filters
* stuff like "?show=anime&aid=1&expand=60#eid_60" work, so you can direct link to some ep.
* ajax
known bugs wrote:* expand all eps aren't quite expanded on order, the reason is too hard to explain and it's not actualy a problem either...
* file row highlight is *slugginsh* on opera and on IE, there's a pref to disable that
* fixed onclick problems with IE, but as IE is such a dirty browser, you better not try the page with a js debugger active :P (well, at least don't expand relations)
recent changes wrote:* half did tracker item 409
* if a file has storage info it will be displayed, i had a typo before :P (hover on cd icon)
* sort of solved tracker item 240
* mylist storate information now uses the new tooltip thingie
Currently, i'm missing file filters, but i would like to know how you, the user, would like to filter files.
also i would like to know what you all perfer, a page loading all eps fast but having in mind that by doing so you will suffer from *hang* like situations or more fluid loading but taking more time.

So this post serves various purposes:
first to remind you all that stuff happens behind your backs :P
second to ask for your input on the current state of things
third to have some requests :P

Note1: the best episode to expand is Episode 1, and you better "show all files" for that episode
Note2: link to ed2k pattern info
Last edited by fahrenheit on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
zeromind

storage info

Post by zeromind »

showing the storage info for files (not only state) would be nice.
checking on which dvd/cd/etc a certain file is, would take less time, as one does not have to check the mylist.
(that'd be e.g. 'Anime #241' for me - dunno how/if others use that field)

some users might want to filter files by extension/container&codecs (audio codec too)
e.g. if they want to watch anime on a stand alone player
worf

Post by worf »

yeah, storage info would be nice.

and i also like the size in bytes rather than megabytes better. makes it easier to check whether a file is already in the database or not.

any maybe an icon for the codec would be better than that generic video icon. makes it easier to see what codec was used.
same goes for an icon for audio channels. ....

... the more stuff you can see by just looking at the icons the better.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

worf wrote:and i also like the size in bytes rather than megabytes better. makes it easier to check whether a file is already in the database or not.
This should probably be a user configurable preference, I like the new format better (wonder why...). ;)

I also agree on the storage thing, think most do. ;)
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

the format of the size has a user pref, i'm sure i've thought about that one :P

the storage thing, okay next update will be in
worf wrote:any maybe an icon for the codec would be better than that generic video icon. makes it easier to see what codec was used.
same goes for an icon for audio channels. ....
I'm not too keen on this one, i'm afraid of icon clutter, on 1024 it's getting a bit crowded, video codec is simple enough one icon goes out, one goes in, but adding an icon for each audio stream channels i don't know...

more ideias?
kidan

Post by kidan »

Looks quite uesful.

Ok, actually:
Great job, you fit more info on the page and it's still not completly cluttered. :D
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Nothing to add or change for now.
sequel and side story text seems misplaced.
Preferences will be put in preferences after completion of the code? I think... or will be client based with cookies? In that case please hide them while not used.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

DonGato wrote:Nothing to add or change for now.
sequel and side story text seems misplaced.
Preferences will be put in preferences after completion of the code? I think... or will be client based with cookies? In that case please hide them while not used.
hmm, i only responsible for the mylistbox, groupList and episodeList, the rest of the page is done by exp and is the same as the current one (bar a few changes) i just copy pasted the fmp page to have a reference, should be palme no ki :P

preferences will go in to prefs after completion, just using cookies while i don't get that :)

see your icons in use? :)
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

DonGato wrote:sequel and side story text seems misplaced.
css issues. there are various of such nature in the whole page. try righclicking on the voteeps button for instance :P

anyway that's rar's field :wink:
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

fahrenheit wrote:see your icons in use? :)
Yes, but I don't think the ones of group status fit the style of AniDB simplistic icons. :/
Anyway, most people already know what they mean because of ARCDB. :P
zeromind

state icons

Post by zeromind »

what about dropping the 'file in mylist' icon? the on hdd/archived/unknown icon is shown anyway isnt it?

and as the icons already represent where the file is hdd/archived/unknown, its not necessary to state that in the icons' tooltips. dropping the 'storage:' should also be considered - it's quite unnecessary imo
worf

Re: state icons

Post by worf »

zeromind wrote:showing the storage info for files (not only state) would be nice.
checking on which dvd/cd/etc a certain file is, would take less time, as one does not have to check the mylist.
(that'd be e.g. 'Anime #241' for me - dunno how/if others use that field)
zeromind wrote:dropping the 'storage:' should also be considered - it's quite unnecessary imo
Make up your mind? And no, leave it there. I like and use it.
zeromind

Post by zeromind »

the current tooltip is like 'mylist status: on cd/dvd, storage: da storage' - i was thinking of only leaving the actual storage info you entered (here 'da storage')
just noticed that there is also stuff like 'Resolution: 640x480' etc.
i mean..if it only would be '640x480', 'DivX3' etc it is still quite obvious what values they are...
a profile setting for hiding/showing these descriptions would be nice
MaccaSvenne

Post by MaccaSvenne »

I realize this thread isn't that new, but nevertheless I wanted to express my support for displaying subtitled languages next to the group in the group info table, something that would be really helpful.
Honestly, I think almost every new thing he suggested is great.
I really look forward to the day these changes will be implemented...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

MaccaSvenne wrote:I realize this thread isn't that new, but nevertheless I wanted to express my support for displaying subtitled languages next to the group in the group info table, something that would be really helpful.
Honestly, I think almost every new thing he suggested is great.
I really look forward to the day these changes will be implemented...
Please find fahrenheit! :( He's awol!