AniDB CSS - Feedback Thread

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

Klibbnisse

Post by Klibbnisse »

Well, check the anime-page. I still think it would look better the way it looks now, when the information is placed to the picture's right side, not below it ;)
MaJutsu

Post by MaJutsu »

1: i don't like buttons, i think it was pretty good taht the search was a link, and no button, so i can open a search in an new tab ;)
2: maybe its because i use Safari as Browser but http://petriw.com/creativity/rar/msg_work.htm and http://petriw.com/creativity/rar/latestanimes_work.htm seem buggy atm
Msg: the message list and the menu are overlapping at tthe right side compeletely (the msg subwindow is aligned right, not central)
calendar: the Year searchfield is under the Month-field and aligned left.
Killzone

Post by Killzone »

My only main concern is for the anime information not being next to the image, but it looks like its fixed under the explorer hacks css, dunno if this is intentional or not.

In anime calendar, the anime titles are oversized. Try going with something smaller, but not as small as it was in the original [made it hard to read the list at a glance in the old one]. Also the year text box is way too long.

In the messages style, I think the list table was better centered. Its kept the right of the screen for all the css mods which might not be a good idea for people who use large screen resolutions [huge space there intentional?].

Under Latest Reviews you may want to keep both Review and Anime above vote and rating headers centered. Everything else on that page is an improvement in my view.

I like the idea that the site is now in different "skins," but are we going to be able to contribute or just supply our own?

And ttg, are you sure your under normal font? Try pressing CTRL+0 in firefox and reset the text.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Killzone wrote:I like the idea that the site is now in different "skins," but are we going to be able to contribute or just supply our own?
you're highly encouraged to write your own skins and send them to us so we can make them available to the entire anidb community.
we're hoping to take this into a direction similar to the mylist export templates, where we already have lots of contributors which provided us with outstanding works!

BYe!
EXP
k1pu

Post by k1pu »

A note for anime page: voting sections are misaligned (I haven't checked the old thread so if it is already reported, I'm sorry. Anyway, you should consider "known bugs" list) . Also, the "Vote" buttons are now below the rating combo - is it intentional? In old version they were at the same line (and easier to use that way).

Checked in Konqueror 3.3.2; Firefox 1.0.7 and Firefox 1.5 as well.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Well done for Klibbnisse, Killzone, and k1pu completely failing to read this thread, let alone any others. No point having KNOWN ISSUES is people don't read 'em, eh?

MaJutsu, you're on crack, search an input control not a href and always has been. Look at the source. However I'm interested in how Safari renders stuffs, could you post screenies of the msg page? It really shouldn't overlap floats though, that's against the spec.

Anyway, changed various things, including the explorer hacks file, refresh pages to see the difference.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Besides the messages window (alignment still not that good) the rest seems ok for me. The anime page doesn't have any client side code (like collapsing or filtering) but I think that will come at a later time.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

DonGato wrote:The anime page doesn't have any client side code (like collapsing or filtering) but I think that will come at a later time.
yep. Petriw is working on that. for the mom imitating the original design as close as possible in css is the goal.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

That's petri's job. And yeah, msg window is still paining me - it used to have a pink background to remind me to find a solution, but stupid people kept thinking it was a bug o_O' Anyway, emulating the myplace page with floats rather than tables will be... interesting, shall we say.

Rar

[Edit: /me tries to kick the baka but he's so darn quick he just runs off]
RainyDZ

Please modify the whole theme and why.

Post by RainyDZ »

I have been using ANIDB.net for a few years now, and everytime I am struck with the impression that the website just does NOT come off as professional and easy to browse.
I am hardly a computer expert, but I hope you find the feedback of an average anime fan like me useful.
The background is a tastless grey with tiny word littered all over the place. The banner simply doesn't look inviting, instead, I blush to think the three girls smiling provocatively at me look like characters straight out of a Hentai show. I can't for the life of me understand why would someone put those girls up there.
I still remember the very first time I stumbled upon anidb, and without second thought, I closed the window, thinking a website with such tacky design no doubt has similarly bad content. (a decision that I would later regret) The point is the design of the website failed to immediately hook me into staying some more, to the contrary, it turned me off.
Yes, anidb is a great website with tons of useful information, however, the design is so absurdly out of place with the fantastic content that I am begging you to re-design template for a nice change.
Another disadvantage of a poor design is that an average visitor is not "enticed" into contributing to the anidb community more than what's necessary. To this day, I have not written a review for anidb, I have for animeinfo though, why? Their "package" looks better.
Only when a website look prettier and have useful content will it retain it's visitors. If anidb already scores a 10 in the latter, why is it doing so badly in the former requirement?

Rainy

[EditRar: Bolding the whole message did not make it easier to read or more valid...]
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

To be honest Rainy, I had exactly the same thing. I didn't get involved with anidb for quite a long time simply because my first impression of the design was not very good. And, I've never been very fond of the grey.
Part of the reason for these changes is to make anidb-content independant of the current design, if you go to any of the example pages and switch stylesheet to brown2 (you read the posts in this thread so saw my instructions on that, right?), you'll see an example of how this can work.

Rar
egg

Post by egg »

I never really cared for the current design, I was more annoyed about the space that was taken up than the fact it was taken up by pretty girls... That is why when the CSS options became available I switched to the other layout. Overall things are similar, but it removes the bar at the top and the color is now tan. With the new CSS development there should be many skins available and that will hopefully make things even more usable.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You kidding right?
Never disliked a site design more than AnimeNFO.
Granted AniDB is not that nice but is eons better than AnimeNFO.
Anyway, with all this you will have more options and if you don't like them you can make yours.
Killzone

Post by Killzone »

Rar wrote:Well done for Klibbnisse, Killzone, and k1pu completely failing to read this thread, let alone any others. No point having KNOWN ISSUES is people don't read 'em, eh?
Oh I'm sorry the words on the front page and initial post seemed to say that you can put your input here, not get bashed by people who frequent forums all their life.
Anidb Index wrote:Put your feedback in the CSS Feedback Forum Thread.