errors in exported pages

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

Black_Knight

errors in exported pages

Post by Black_Knight »

Hi

I am new here but would like to make some recommendations concerning the exported "mylist".

There exist a webservice to validate web pages in order to make sure that these pages will be correctly recognized by ANY and ALL (new and really old) browsers that is capable of HTML 4.01. The web pages is http://validator.w3.org/

Messing around with it, I found that a lot of templates are not comforming to the specs. One common "error" is the "&"in the links, which, I beleive, can safely be replaced by "&". So I thought you guys might be interested in making your good templates even better! (I don't know if it is still updated, but I personally really like orangewhite.)

there is also a css validator, but I can't help you there because I don't know a thing about css. Anyway, here's the link: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

hmm, the most updated exports templates have several issues, both in code, layout and html compatibility, they have issues with almost every browser regarding some other issue, but generaly the work ok.

and yes, they are updated, the thing is there isn't any new sdk for us, the template makers to make new exports, so the current templates don't support every option present in anidb, we are waiting for exp to release a new sdk so that we can implement some functions and correct some bugs.

I guess we could release some bug fixes for the current templates, but atm i for one am lacking the time to do that :P

as for orange-white, some day i will make an update to that template.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

i was doing some checking on this validating thing, so here's what i found out.

there is no way that at least the anime, mylist, trade, wishlist and some other page passes on the validator, because there is much html code inside javascript code and that confuses the validator, but anyway i've included the doctype, checked the type on the scripts and removed the & thingie, i left some errors as for alt messages in images and such things that i consider irrelevant because i don't actualy have the time to check those and sincerely there isn't much reason for me to give them an alt tag..

anyways this was done only for the html-operatic template, there's a preview version on the html-anidbstyle/cleancut/operatic thread.
Black_Knight

Post by Black_Knight »

wow, that was fast. It's nice to see you found some time to update a template. I agree with you that the validator is a little picky, but here's what I found in the FAQ:
Many error messages? Don't panic.

Don't panic. Did The Validator complain about your DOCTYPE declaration (or lack thereof)? Make sure your document has a syntactically correct DOCTYPE declaration, as described in the section on DOCTYPE, and make sure it correctly identifies the type of HTML you're using. Then run it through The Validator again; if you're lucky, you should get a lot fewer errors.

If this doesn't help, then you may be experiencing a cascade failure — one error that gets The Validator so confused that it can't make sense of the rest of your page. Try correcting the first few errors and running your page through The Validator again.

Be patient, with a little time and experience you will learn to use the Markup Validator to clean up your HTML documents in no time.
Maybe it will help you.

Anyhow, you've done a great job.