A feature/bugtracker for Anidb? - Anyone interested?

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

so,

how exactly would I go about marking the fact that I consider a feature/bug implemented/fixed then?
IMHO that should be visible directly in the overview.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, it isn't 'implemented' until someone confirm it. At least that should be the proper procedure.
What the developer considers done is not always true, so the testers/managers are the ones responsible for resolving/closing issues after checking the changes.
I've been using Mantis in multiple projects and with other companies and this was always the normal procedure. Not that you have to follow it if you don't like it, but I think is better to stick to commonly used guidelines.
egg

Post by egg »

In most cases you have dedicated testers, which we don't... There may be things that just end up being left open because nobody tests them and post the results.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

For that you have managers, or you can build a 'beta testing' team. I think a lot of people would like to help with that. ;)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

that doesn't solve the problem that the overview will not show the entries as potentially solved.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Ok. Then we will have to wonder if it was really fixed or go and add a comment that will set the issue to opened again. Not that bad.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

DonGato wrote:Ok. Then we will have to wonder if it was really fixed or go and add a comment that will set the issue to opened again. Not that bad.
yeah,

i think we can live with that.
i mean if the feature/bugreport was not handled correctly we'd want to have the entry reopened anyway.
and if you just want to add praise or other comments, the forum might be a better place to do so?

we should also come up with a way to handle "additional requests". i.e. requesting improvements to a just implemented feature (if it isn't clear that they're an important part of the old feature requests which should therefore be reopened).
i think those should be added as new feature requests, and maybe a relation to the old request could then be added.

and what about forum threads.
should we add a forum thread for each feature request which requires discussion? bc I feel a forum is better suited for such.
so maybe the requester for a feature which will probably create a discussion should add a forum post in the feature request forum before hand and add it's url to the feature request description?
what do you think?

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, when there is a relation you simply add the ID number to the text and Mantis take care of making the link to it.

At eMule Plus we kind of discussed thinks in Mantis directly, but not to the extent as the changes to the review system. In those cases a linked forum thread would be better. But how do you know that will happen? Yes, it's kind of intuitive some will have a lot of discussion like big changes or controversial changes but I think it wont be always that easy to know.

Anyway I'm against a direct relation to one thread for every open issue. If we want to do that then better don't use the Tracker.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

we could create a forum post once too many notes were added for a feature request/bug report, copy all the notes over and delete them in mantis (replacing them with a link to the forum post).
new notes would than only be added to mantis if they're directly related to the implementation of the feature (i.e. implementation status reports, bug report feedback, ...)

BYe!
EXP