Relation Graph Improvements

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

Relation Graph Improvements

Post by exp »

Well,

most of you have probably taken note of the new relation graph feature by now.
and most of you probably also think that it looks pretty ugly.
now this is where you can help, bc i am way to lazy to fiddle with this stuff :P

the graphs are generated using graphviz
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/.

it takes a simple text file as input and generates an image file out of it.

this is the input:
http://anidb.ath.cx/pics/graph/g-1.dot

and this is the output:
http://anidb.ath.cx/pics/graph/g-1.gif
http://anidb.ath.cx/pics/graph/g-1.map

now I would really appreciate it if some of you guys could go fetch that graphviz package and play a bit with all the possible layout settings & stuff to make it look better :o)

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well, yes they suck. Titles are cut and some are not understandable and the design is horrible. Hope it can be made better.
donfischi

Post by donfischi »

hmm after i viewed the tenchi graph and read this thread i immediatly downloaded this tool because i felt the sudden urge to see what can be made out of it. don´t expect too much though :wink:
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I think the feature is really neat - don't mind the critics EXP ^_^

Sure it looks ugly but it illustrates the relations pretty good.

I am really curious how things will look after you implement the currently discussed multiple possibilities for inter-anime relations. Guess there will be a lot of different colored arrows then ^_^
donfischi

Post by donfischi »

hey i was not critzising the feature as a whole. it´s just that it looks not as good as the rest of anidb and it´s a little confusing if the relations are more complex. look at the tenchi graph and you´ll see what i mean. this feature should benefit those complex relations since a normal two season show was well explained with the old seaquel/prequel way. for the more complex shows and to fit into the very high optical standard of anidb it needs a little finetuning as exp himself said.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Uhm, I know that, and I guess it is pretty obvious that I meant DonGato, not you fischi ^_^

I did not want to quote it cause then it would be here twice ^_-
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Skywalka wrote:I am really curious how things will look after you implement the currently discussed multiple possibilities for inter-anime relations. Guess there will be a lot of different colored arrows then ^_^
If you're talking about the additional relations besides prequel/sequel than the first version of those is implemented already :P

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Skywalka wrote:Uhm, I know that, and I guess it is pretty obvious that I meant DonGato, not you fischi ^_^
Well, I wasn't criticizing his work, or the feature but how is done for now. He already acknowledged is nasty and should be fixed. So, where's the problem?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

DonGato wrote:Well, I wasn't criticizing his work, or the feature but how is done for now. He already acknowledged is nasty and should be fixed. So, where's the problem?
well, don't complain, help fixing it instead :P

BYe!
EXP
donfischi

Post by donfischi »

hmm this too is not in any way ergonomic... :?
/me has to look deeper into it these days to at least understand what everything meanes...
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Well I can't... I have enough other things to take care off to get one more.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

*evilgrin*

Seems you still have enough time to visit the forum, eh?

^^;;;

Sorry, just teasing ^_^
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Just as you and you're not helping either. This is not a 5 min work and after seeing the code/page explaining the code I don't see how it can be made prettier.
egg

Post by egg »

donfischi wrote:look at the tenchi graph
WOW! I just looked at tenchi and it is a real mess. Part of the problem here, is that everything is linked as a sequel to the original anime, even sequels of sequels. These should be handled by inheritance, not stated explicitly. This would make it a lot cleaner, but once you add the other relations in, it will probably get messy again.

I will try to look at options for cleaning things up, but I do have a couple projects that I am working on right now, so no promises on results.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

i just added some more colors to the graph.
i am also planning to change the font to Verdana.
however i am having some problems with libs & truetype fonts on the server atm x_X

BYe!
EXP