Ghost in the Shell(sac):recomended viewing order?

talk about your favorite anime here

Moderator: AniDB

MaJutsu

Ghost in the Shell(sac):recomended viewing order?

Post by MaJutsu »

I planned to organise a movie evening with some friends to introduce them into "higher anime-art", the plan was to watch GitS and GitS:SAC.

But now I'm asking myself: in which order? firrst the movies, or First the Series?

The order within the Format isn't questnable, but the rest? They were produced alternating (movie,series,movie,series) so I'dont really know.

Any suggestions?
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Re: Ghost in the Shell(sac):recomended viewing order?

Post by Gambit »

MaJutsu wrote:I planned to organise a movie evening with some friends to introduce them into "higher anime-art", the plan was to watch GitS and GitS:SAC.

But now I'm asking myself: in which order? firrst the movies, or First the Series?

The order within the Format isn't questnable, but the rest? They were produced alternating (movie,series,movie,series) so I'dont really know.

Any suggestions?
Well, the movies play in a sort of 'alternative dimension', so they don`t really have much to do with the tv-series in the first place.

But from what I know, the first movie is mainly about the 'Ghost' aspect, the philosophy about what it is and all, whereas the tv-series focuses on the characters and a plotline, incorporating several aspects of that idea.

Iirc in the very first episodes one of the characters refers to the Ghost of the Major, so it feels to me like the tv-series should at least be watched after the first movie. I haven`t seen the second movie nor the second tv-series, so I can`t say what`s best to watch after that.

But you can also try to click on the 'Relations' link on the page of the anime. It should give you a graph how the titles are related to each other. I can`t access AniDB here from this workstation, so you`ll have to trust me on my word, not on my link ;)
bouns

Re: Ghost in the Shell(sac):recomended viewing order?

Post by bouns »

Gambit wrote:I haven`t seen the second movie nor the second tv-series
ohhhh i envy you ;)

to the op:
I'd stick to chronological order.
To overcome the gap in style/feel between movie-1 and sac-1 (it's been 7 years afterall) i suggest presenting them on different evenings.
Watch Gits and let it sink in a bit.

Don't gulp down vast amounts of Gits at once, that'd be a waste; it's too much to digest and you would waste the chance to intensively enjoy the whole.