Starting a Fansub Group

talk about your favorite anime here

Moderator: AniDB

Stickreid

Starting a Fansub Group

Post by Stickreid »

Hey all. I was sitting here thinking how cool it'd be to start up my own fansubbing group. For those of you who don't know what that is, its a group that takes un-licensed anime (anime that hasnt been released in america or hasnt been planned for release), and they translate it and add subtitles to the video, and then release it online or distro video tapes.

So anyways, I'd like to start up a fansubbing group. At first the group would be quite small and then we'd grow as we want to do new titles. Now, here's who we (and when I say we, I mean the group, and when I say the group, I mean me. For now at least) need:

Web Design
People who own and know how to use Photoshop and/or Dreamweaver or frontpage or anyother program that can do the same things. We will only need a few of these and only every once in a while, but a lot for designing our site. I have a current site and space purchased.

Translators
Person needs to be fluent in Japanese. Not just learning. Would need to be able to watch/listen to an episode, and type out both the Japanese and English dialogue line other by line. They don't need to worry about making it sound proper for English (Japanese doesnt translate to English directly. Meaning some words might be out of place in the sentance. I can arrange the sentance so it makes sense. But if you have a good enough handle on both languages, then you can feel free to write it out so it makes sense). If the translator wishes to the timing (see below), they can do so, but its not required at all.
Bonus (but not required): High-speed internet access (to be able to send the episodes.

Timers
People that take the translated script and tell when the subtitle should appear on the video and when it should go away.

Editors/Encoders
People that take the timed script and lay the subtitles over the video and then encode the video for distrobution.

Distributors/seeders
Take the encoded video and serve it to people on the web. Usually in the form of FServes on IRC or on an FTP or seeding a torrent. Requires a high-speed internet access. Preferrabley T1+.

So anyways, if you want to help out, then please reply to this post, or if you'd rather talk in private, send me a PM. Keep in mind though, that fansubbing is done only to support the anime community. And once the series that we're working on gets licensed for american release, we probably will cancel the project and stop distribution.

If you know of any soon to be aired anime series that you'd like us to fansub, make a post about it. Tell us what its about and any other details like the channel it will air on, when it premieres, what time its on, etc.

and before you PM me or post here, think bout this. this will take some time and you must be Very Dedicated.
Also Sorry about my typos, i've been using my laptop's touchpad because my mouse ran out of batteries.
Last edited by Stickreid on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

As you're not fluent in either Japanese or English, I strongly suggest you think of a different hobby.

Rar
Stickreid

Post by Stickreid »

Rar wrote:As you're not fluent in either Japanese or English, I strongly suggest you think of a different hobby.

Rar
Who says i'm not fluent in English or Japanese? I know a bit of Japanese and i'm great in english, I've taken the class all my life and was born in the USA
azumi_yo

Post by azumi_yo »

If you do start one then remember some people like to convert their downloads to DVD so they can watch on the TV.

Two things to remember, properly encode your anime no matter what format you use. Some people tend to mess up the encoding especially when using AAC audio and they become unconvertable.
The other thing to remember is to not place the subtitles as close to the bottom or top of the frame as possible. Give it some space to account for TV overscan or the subtitles will be partially cut off on the TV.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

And what would you do in this group? Bark orders at people, whine about the lack of productivity among members and lack of respect from leechers and occasionally take the time to pick the next project which is already being subbed better and faster by two dozen other groups?

If you're going to get into fansubbing, start by learning japanese and working as a translator. Everyone else is more or less a waste of perfectly good bits and oxygen.
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

pelican wrote:And what would you do in this group? Bark orders at people, whine about the lack of productivity among members and lack of respect from leechers and occasionally take the time to pick the next project which is already being subbed better and faster by two dozen other groups?

If you're going to get into fansubbing, start by learning japanese and working as a translator. Everyone else is more or less a waste of perfectly good bits and oxygen.
There are still many of animes out there, which aren't even subbed. I would say to start with something like that, where you have no competition of who is subbing first or by subbing something from English to another language, to find out the difficulties in subbing/timing/translating.

Well it's true that the most important part is the translater. And good translaters are really rar.

And it's also true, that he should first say, what he himself could do. Sitting in the back and delegating all people around is not the way it should be and I don't think that it was his thought.

As first step he should try it himself to sub an episode.
kouta

Post by kouta »

way to go guys you scared the hell of me :lol:

i guess you need to visit the website he made AnimeChatter

have fun!
zrdb

Post by zrdb »

Start a fandub group-yeah sure-I did a project on my own even though it had been fansubbed years ago. What I did was sub the originial Dirty Pair tv series-I used R2 dvds for my video source (cost me about 260 bucks) and used some timed scripts I found at various places on the internet-problem was I was missing about 11 episodes so I enlisted the help of a friend of mine who speakes japanese fluently to listen to the episodes and do translations which I turned into timed subs-the whole project took me 1 1/2 years. My japanese is limited to about 100 words. So start a fansub group? No bloody way!!