Fan-Sub name spelling ---- e.g. FMP - The Second Raid

talk about your favorite anime here

Moderator: AniDB

Do you care for "correct" name-spelling?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:19 pm

Like hell! Got to much time to write this thread?
33%
Anime is seldom based on reality, so names are free.
No votes
Mistakes are possible, just ignore them ;-)
No votes
If similar names do exist, it should be written like them.
67%

Total votes: 3

Col. Warden

Fan-Sub name spelling ---- e.g. FMP - The Second Raid

Post by Col. Warden »

Hi there!

I hereby admit I was at fault.

Teletha is, or at least seems to be, a real name, wich I didn't know so far. I confess, I somehow like this name now in fact :D

I also deleted / edited the previus post, cause the discussion of this topic already took place somewhere I didn't know of :roll:

But I'll leave the poll, cause I want to know the general opinion of this topic, it seems to be really interessting :wink:

Ah, thanks @ "egg" for your hint ;-)
Last edited by Col. Warden on Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
egg

Post by egg »

The short answer is to not trust ANY subbers translation. Technically the "Official" English title cannot be determined until it is licensed and released in English. Until then, the best way is to go by the name in Kanji and then convert it into Romaji. If you search through the forum though you will find that there are many different opinions on how this should be done though, but in principle you should follow the Hepburn style. If you have a question (or don't know enough to do that), you can make a post (please get the Kanji first) and then let people (Rar and rowaasr13 for the most part) make their comments. If the anime is listed on wikipedia, it can be a good source to find the Kanji and some version of the Romaji, again you can't take that for granted, but it is a start.

In this case, none of that is necessary. It has been discussed before, and the answer is at the bottom of the page. (I guess you have already seen this.) Like it or not, until it is released in English, this would be the official name. Also if you look a census data, Teletha is a real name (although maybe not that common).

BTW, google is another good resource, and that is how I found the answer.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Note that the japanese have a lax attitude to the roman alphabet: they could give her name in roman as Mike and it'd be fine 'cos the kids are all reading the katakana テレサ [teresa] anyway.
As a parrellel, I was actually annoyed when the subbers of Princess Tutu switched from their sensible transcription of みゅうと [myuuto] as Mute in the subs to the 'official' Mytho, there's a bigger gap between the actual pronunciation compared to the expected /θ/ in the latter rather than the /t/ of the former than my brain could comfortably take.

Rar