No end of notifications

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

walderik

No end of notifications

Post by walderik »

Hi,
Ï have a small probleam; I can't stop Anidb from open a new notification-poppup-window everytime I click on a new page at the site. I have already looked at the series the notification tells me are new, and clicked on everything in the window, but still more windows cepps coming. What am I doing wrong?
walderik

I have also

Post by walderik »

I have also tried to logout and in, changed all my notification-settings and clicked on almost everything I can find, with only the result of having more popup windows to close down.
walderik

It's fine now

Post by walderik »

Thanks to someone if they did something.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

If that's a real bug, only exp can do something about it...
walderik wrote:I have also tried to logout and in, changed all my notification-settings
Which ones? Just the notification-type or did you also try removing them (and maybe adding them again later on)?

If that doesn't change anything:
What's the popup's contents and how many series are listed there?

Btw, since it sounds quite annoying, you can try a quick workaround... simply disable "Notify by Popup" in your profile. :?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hmm,

i'd need more info on this one.

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

This happened to me once too recently but was gone the next day so I assumed it was fixed. :roll:
walderik

Fine now

Post by walderik »

Well, I tried to delete my notifications, but it didn't help. I had three series in the Windows (don't remember wich ones), but I could read in the left corner, next to my user-id that there should be four of them.
Anyway, I tried to reboot my computer and clean it frpm strange cookies, and then everything was fine, so I asumed that somebody had fixed it, while I had my computer down (half a day).
So, in short, it working as it should now. :D
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Or maybe your browser's cache still contained the page with the JavaScript that opens the popup window, and didn't refresh the page from the server... IE's crappy cache handling comes to mind here. :P
Shantock

Post by Shantock »

Yeah, crappy IE... 8O Use Opera instead :mrgreen:
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Firebird or Mozilla all the way. :mrgreen:
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Elberet wrote:Or maybe your browser's cache still contained the page with the JavaScript that opens the popup window, and didn't refresh the page from the server... IE's crappy cache handling comes to mind here. :P
i think that's the source of the problem.
your pending notifications are reset once the popup is loaded.
if your browser caches the popup your notifications will not be reset and you'll therefor get a new popup on each pageload @ anidb.
hitting F5 in one of the popups should "fix" this problem.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Btw, also make sure that IE's caching strategy (aka "Check for newer versions of the cached page") is set to "Automatically". This caching method works fairly well. Setting it to check the page's validity for every access will waste bandwith and the settings "Never" and "Each session" will likely cause the problem you've experienced.

By the way, exp... It might help to lose the "Expires" HTTP header one way or another (either by removing it from Perl or altering the proxy's config).

At least according to specs, "Pragma: no-cache" and "Cache-control: no-cache" tell proxies and user agents not to cache the page regardless of it's Expiry date, but some broken browsers (Internet Explorer...) ignore both, the Pragma and the Cache-control header, if "Expires" is present. Add to that a bad system clock or timezone setting and many users will see cached copies of the AniDB pages rather then the current ones... :?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Or maybe your browser's cache still contained the page with the JavaScript that opens the popup window, and didn't refresh the page from the server... IE's crappy cache handling comes to mind here.
Nope this was not the problem for me, my cache was cleared and I even rebooted (due to something else) and it was still there.