Why native clients to acces the database ?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Locked
Jeslan

Why native clients to acces the database ?

Post by Jeslan » Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:58 pm

I have read about use native clients, but...

Why you want to create native clients ?? Why not simply create a web application instead ?? The web application could be for any operating system, and it would be useful for any user, not only windows ones. There is no need to code one client for each O.S. with only a web browser you could access the database for everything you could need.

Saludos,

- Jeslan -

wahaha
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:33 pm

Post by wahaha » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:46 pm

There are a lot of possibly useful applications that depend on knowing the hashes of your files (read access to hdd) and maybe even "write" access (as far as filenames are concerned, really changing a files contents would be quite counter-productive I guess :roll:)

The db-frontend *is* the "web-application" - but if a java-program (app mode, not applet mode) could really work on most OSes (where Windows, *n?x and MacOS9 are interesting), I'd prefer a JAVA-app aswell - but most users would although benefit from a Win-Only client - maybe it could even be WINEd ;)

Jeslan

hehe

Post by Jeslan » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:40 pm

Well, I see the idea of only a web application more simple or interesting than others, a java client It is also a good solution because the use of the program It is not so hard to have less speed, but a native only client...... I don't understand why do this, If the really important thing is to get a whole database, the best way for all would be something that could useful for all, not only for some people.

Why think in a lot of work again and again for each native client when It can be done only once for all people. Besides, the idea of a web application It is quite simple and the best good looking one besides the easy of use. A webapp It is not only a web page, with a webapp you can do anything, from access a database, files (read and write), or execute any piece of code (java code of course). I think It would be more easy and best for all.

But well, It seems this it is not important for anyone because you wahaha were the only one interested in answer my post.

Greetings,

- Jeslan -

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: hehe

Post by exp » Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:58 pm

Jeslan wrote:But well, It seems this it is not important for anyone because you wahaha were the only one interested in answer my post.
that's not it, me just "overlooked" this thread somehow.

well,

I am courious, have you ever visited the page http://www.anidb.net ?
Bc it sounds as if you didn't.

You seem to have missunderstood something there.
The AniDB "web" Anime Database is and will always be the main and most important part of AniDB.
The only thing we're trying to do is provide additional ways to access the anidb data. And by creating a native client we can implement lots of interesting additional features.

BYe!
EXP

Jeslan

Yes I did

Post by Jeslan » Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:16 pm

Yes, I saw the homepage of AniDB. It sounds a bit dificult to write a post here if I would not saw the main web. Where then I could get in here from ??

Besides the only one place where are info more explained is in the forum. That was the reason to post my message. But since I wrote It much time has passed and I had only one reply and now, your reply. I have reasons to think my question don't interested to anybody.

And about the real question, I can't understand what kind of things could have a native client that a web client or a java client can't have. I think the real important thing to spend your efforts is the DB, not a native client who only is good for a little number of people, not all.

But, I see with your style of reply that you don't want any ideas or different point of views about your AniDB project. Well, I will say to you one thing, I am spanish, a database of english anime It is not interesting for me. I see your project and I only wanted to help a little bit. I could not post anything becausse I don't get nothing from try to help here. But I tried to help. But.... It seems that help is not welcome.

Well, no problem for me. Good luck and bye.

Greetings,

- Jeslan -

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Yes I did

Post by exp » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:19 pm

Jeslan wrote:Yes, I saw the homepage of AniDB. It sounds a bit dificult to write a post here if I would not saw the main web. Where then I could get in here from ??
well it could be, bc the direct link to the forum is not only on the anidb mainpage but also on some other pages and some ppl have the link in their signatures. After all it's also the official animereactor forum.

and your post simply sounded as if you didn't know about the anidb main page.
Jeslan wrote: Besides the only one place where are info more explained is in the forum. That was the reason to post my message. But since I wrote It much time has passed and I had only one reply and now, your reply. I have reasons to think my question don't interested to anybody.
As I said b4 that doesn't mean nobody is interested, just that's easy to overlook posts in the FAQ forum bc you're the first person (besides me) who ever posted there.
So most ppl (/me included) didn't check this part of the forum regulary.
Jeslan wrote: And about the real question, I can't understand what kind of things could have a native client that a web client or a java client can't have. I think the real important thing to spend your efforts is the DB, not a native client who only is good for a little number of people, not all.
Well actually there is some fancy stuff which can only be realised with a locally running client. I.e. automatic generation of file hashes and comparing those with the db contents.
But ALL that will be additional stuff, so it will always be possible to just use the plain http interface.
And the second point is that the ppl who work on the client and on the anidb cgi are totally different ppl. So the anidb cgi development is not slowed down in any way by the development of the client.
Jeslan wrote: But, I see with your style of reply that you don't want any ideas or different point of views about your AniDB project. Well, I will say to you one thing, I am spanish, a database of english anime It is not interesting for me. I see your project and I only wanted to help a little bit. I could not post anything becausse I don't get nothing from try to help here. But I tried to help. But.... It seems that help is not welcome.

Well, no problem for me. Good luck and bye.

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
well, I am sorry if you think so, but it's only a missunderstanding.

BYe!
EXP

Locked