lol...

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

darkwarlord

lol...

Post by darkwarlord »

So I was visiting the site after a weeks of vacation to check out stuff.

Saw a little new tweak to the website display page.

now...correct me if i'm wrong, but all fansubbers that sub, do NOT use "english" if they did, why bloody hell we would all see such garbage language in our subs that sounded fucking weird.

its AMERICAN.

Don't the admins at anidb know the differnece between the language? Ever heard an ENGLSH talk?
ricce

Post by ricce »

No and yes.. it is English and in most cases also American.. American is a dialect of English talked in the US.

The site only tell us the subtitles is in English (en), they can be American (en_US), British (en_GB), Australian (en_AU) or any other Dialects or variants that exsists out there.

And about the Britsh flag... well, there most be one flag and the Britsh flag is in most cases a symbol for English.. I agree it can be missleading.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

That you even have the energy to care...
Z1LCH

Post by Z1LCH »

you will go to the special hell
the hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theater

burn you yankee fag
ID of Fei

Re: lol...

Post by ID of Fei »

darkwarlord wrote:So I was visiting the site after a weeks of vacation to check out stuff.

now...correct me if i'm wrong, but all fansubbers that sub, do NOT use "english" if they did, why bloody hell we would all see such garbage language in our subs that sounded fucking weird.

its AMERICAN.

Don't the admins at anidb know the differnece between the language? Ever heard an ENGLSH talk?
to the small minded american moron. please be aware of the fact that 'american' is actually an offshoot of english created by americans who are too stupid and lazy to spell words properly. it was created by a country that is ignorant of the world outside its borders. No matter what you want to believe... your beloved 'AMERICAN' came from English... it's just that over here, it's regarded as the form of English that only brain dead ignorant retards speak.
in the interests of preventing further humiliation for yourself, please refrain from posting such idiotic posts, there are too many stupid people on the internet already and we don't need one more stupid american. we don't need more people like you even if you were just posting this as a joke to try to provoke a reaction from people.

this is a public service announcement from your friendly forum British (read english if you're a stupid american) person :)
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

I still want St. George's Cross for the english icon....
merkhant

Post by merkhant »

Uh uh ... I think many (non-british) people don't recognize St George's Cross at all (I wonder how many would think it is a Georgia's flag?). Better to stick with Union Jack.
ender

Post by ender »

I see the British flag as a standard way of denoting English language - at least I've yet to see a multilingual website that uses another flag.
Blinddog

Post by Blinddog »

With his 'precious' American being nothing but an offshoot dialect from the original stuff:

Two thumbs up for the Union Jack!

... and I'm saying this although I'm German :roll:
Boino

Post by Boino »

darkwarlord wrote:So I was visiting the site after a weeks of vacation to check out stuff.

its AMERICAN.

although i see alot of people have pawned this person,i can't help but do it to... just for fun you know....
first was england. then the english thought "i want to kill some indians" they went to america, and killed them. america is created.
then the english thought "we need to feed the people". so they invaded australia.
australia was not created, but australia got influence.

very extremly short story not ment to hurt anyone exept for the person quoted. the point? american english and australian english is originally british english. stop crying. the british speak perfectly well, it's just rednecks that can't exept anything els then their precious dialect that complain.

best regards
Norway
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

*shrug*
You have to pick one flag after all. It`s been decided to use the British flag, since it`s the original English language.
And since America doesn`t really have any decent grammar-rules, it`s hard to say whenever something is 'American'. Usually when it`s not spelled properly in English, we call it American. Or Engrish. So it`s up to you what to call it ;)

But why did anyone resurrect this thread after half a year anyway?
sphere

Post by sphere »

came across this post as I was searching to see if there is any previous highlight to multilingual related issues.

just fyi for those who does not know, the iso standards for differentiating languages is to use a language root and a region to denote "language xxxx as spoken in region yyyyy". Lack of region implies the most common language form (usually original/standard)

e.g. code "en" denotes english. by itself, it refers to the standard english (without reference to any region)... but I think that it takes UK english as the base (even in computing sense), although we would use "en_GB" to denote English as used in the United Kingdom.

The so-called american language (which does not formally exists, unless you really mean the native American Indian languages) is really "en_US" or English as used in United States.

Although having said that, currently, I think we still do not have that many variations of languages to make it feasible to implement a more detail classification which takes regions into consideration. Still, if the database end can support it, it wouldn't hurt to put in the details when it is known (e.g. "en_US", "en_GB") and leave it vague when it is not (e.g. "en"). Wouldn't really help us now, but who knows, people 10 years from now may thank us for the conscientious work.

I did not bring this thread back for the flag debate, but rather a suggestion that we put in the region tag when it is known?
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i really don't think it's worth it. it would require changes on so many levels. languages aren't just stored as a strings in the db.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I don't see why we'd even want to distinguish between en_GB and en_US... At least for subtitles that would be totally useless IMHO.

But as epox said, this isn't likely to change anytime soon.

BYe!
EXP
retroactiv

Post by retroactiv »

Boino wrote: then the english thought "we need to feed the people". so they invaded australia.
australia was not created, but australia got influence.
Close but not quiet correct. The actual thought was "We need somewhere to dump all our convicts."

As for the thread... Pointless. As for the en_US and en_UK, how will this help you? I know I'd rather see colour and serialise, rather than color and serialize. But it's hardly going to cause me to choose one subbing group over another.

I think the fine people at anidb have a lot more important things to do, like showing anime of unknown number of episodes when hide viewed is selected. And up down buttons on the rating page... And any other request i've made.