New rating calculations/system

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

laxxy

Post by laxxy »

merkhant wrote:
laxxy wrote:One other small fact: a review of mine has 2 votes, "3" and "5", and a current rating of 6.82 :)
That's the thing I don't like most about the new system. The rating may be totally different from the votes given.
Actually, it is not necessarily quite such a bad thing -- what matters is not the numerical rating but the ranking of the entries in relation to each other. But this is really counterintuitive and confusing, so it would be much better to fix it -- or if not, present the ratings on a completely different scale (say, -1 to 1) so that no one would expect his grade of 10 to translate into a rating of 10.
I think we can safely assume that a review that got only votes under 6 should stay disapproved, disregarding avarage vote or fanboyishness of the raters. That goes for other votes too, but is most easily seen with reviews.
In fact, I care little about the review ratings -- mine or other people's; they are perhaps helpful if there are *lots* of reviews for a series, but normally I try to browse through all of them, usually you see the worthy ones at a glance.
Also, I would normally read all negative reviews regardless of how highly they are rated.
I'd much rather read a lower-rated review that has just a few sentences summarizing the user's most notable experiences, than look at the typical cookie-cutter reviews with all those sound/animation/character development/whatever sections.
For the same reason I do not care that much about how people rate my reviews either -- the few I wrote, I wrote just so that someone like me could get some extra information from there.

But anyway, the review in question is this one --
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... =2837#3983
(I think the rating isn't shown to other ppl until it gets a certain # of votes, but I can see it in the "my reviews" page)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

eltimsy wrote:Just out of curiosity did all the users with multiple accounts get deleted after the new voting system was put in?
They run just as high a risk of being deleted now as before the change.
laxxy

Post by laxxy »

btw -- fyi, now with one more grade of 5 (meaning three grades of 5,5,3) the resulting rating appreciated to 6.88.
wojtast

Post by wojtast »

I have one small question:
Does mylist count into new rating system? Cause I give votes but I don't use mylist, and i wonder if my votes are somehow lowered?
suppy

Post by suppy »

My purely speculational guess is: no, that doesn't matter. But as there will never be any official answers on any aspect of this, we won't know for certain.
ohtoriakio

Post by ohtoriakio »

Just noticed that a review of mine which got an 8 and a 6 has an overall score of 5.5, could I ask what is the reason for this is?
laxxy

Post by laxxy »

ohtoriakio wrote:Just noticed that a review of mine which got an 8 and a 6 has an overall score of 5.5, could I ask what is the reason for this is?
there could be some sort of vote normalization going on.
e.g. I generally try to give anime votes so that an average series that I've seen would be around 7.5 (it has drifted more towards 8 though). But someone else could do this so that his average is around 5. Now what should a vote of 7 mean -- perhaps different things for each of us? this is purely speculation though as the algorithm is not public and is subject to change anyway....