hate the new limited list amounts

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

molitar

Post by molitar »

Get rid of all the extra options in the list. Giving pictures, ect in the list is what kills the server performance. But the default text only listing of even 500 at at time doesn't kill server performance because it's text only. So give us the option the other options like descriptions, images, ect them are all uneeded in the main listing. The default option is all I ever used and it never took more than a second for that list to show the entire list.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

molitar wrote:Get rid of all the extra options in the list. Giving pictures, ect in the list is what kills the server performance.
Hardly, the web browser doesn't fetch the image each time it's shown, all browsers today support caching.
molitar wrote:But the default text only listing of even 500 at at time doesn't kill server performance because it's text only.
500 entries would be twice the amount of information being asked for from the db server I wouldn't make that claim if I were you.
molitar wrote:So give us the option the other options like descriptions, images, ect them are all uneeded in the main listing.
Doesn't really affect server performance. It's just string concatenation into a buffered stream (I believe).
molitar wrote:The default option is all I ever used and it never took more than a second for that list to show the entire list.
But what if 20 people want to see the page at the same time? Performance is not about what one user sees, it's what all users experience during high load. AniDB has had performance issues in the past, we don't want them back, from what I remember the issues was db performance and not the webpages.

I don't have the exact performance characteristics for anidb but from almost a decade of messing with database stuff my experience is that limiting the information asked for from the database is a very good thing (tm).
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

it's cute when the tards cry. we need to do that more often. if you have a need to see all anime from a-z on 1 list you are doing soemthing darn wrong.
Testy

Post by Testy »

Talk about having a superiority complex; at least the other sympathizer to your cause actually bother to type up a response.

I know that the old system would have drained more resources than the new one and I am not debating that. I am just saying a user should be a ble to allow to choose which system they want, one that they prefer. If so many people hated the old system, then most users would choose to use the new system and the server load on anidb would be fairly low compared to before (when everyone is using the old system). So a small group of users still using the old system shouldn't be straining the server so much.

What I don't like is that this change forces everyone to the new system. I am just saying that not everyone like the new system and that not everyone who like the old system has a urge to view all title at the same time without some actual reason for it. So it will be nice if the database could account for both types of users. A database is suppose to be flexible right?
Last edited by Testy on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Testy

Post by Testy »

PetriW wrote:I think that you should ask for features that would ease your random browsing rather than just walking through the anime list from a to z.

(And if you really want to do A-Z browsing you might want to try aom.5, win32 and a ram hog but it's damn fast at browsing the anime list.)
Well for one, I don't know what aom you are talking about, please explain.

I do know that searching for types and stuff works, but I still need to have some idea of what I am searching for. Sometimes I just want soemthing that comes out of the blue tht surprises me. I can't really suggest a concrete implementation for this, which is why I want the old system.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

you are seriously getting something wrong here. we don't give a fuck if you think you have a need to view all aniem in 1 darn page. the whole point of the change was to actually apply the rule that was put in action for several pages of anidb to various more. the performance option is mena tto reduce load of anidb.
let me also get this right you users are NOT paying any bucks for anidb you are also NOT seeing any advertisments on anidb. we don't even ask you to donate. what the hell do you people actually want?
it's always just WE WANT!!! GIMME1!!! OMG YOU PEOPLE SUCK BECAUSE bla blabla... excuse my short fuse, but you people whining about shit you don't actually need if you would use your brain and actually would use features the way they are meant to be is getting on my nerves. i get all the crying and the shit all day from tard all around the world already in creqs and pm...

also we actually added an 200 and 250 option in the profile, because we wanted to get you tards something, but no. instead we get even more bitching. bah on soem days I really would love to stop modding and not put up with all this shit...
Testy

Post by Testy »

I didn't think I was complain; I was giving a sensible feedback.

Would this make you more receptive: ANIDB is great, it's the only place anyone needs to go to to find all the info about any anime series, old or new. And best of all, it's free and advertisement-free! What more can anyone ask from an internet website?!
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

you got multiple answers and each and every time you and other people come back with the same arguemnts. that's called whining.

there are reasons for the limitations that were mentioned various times. and 250 is the last word in this discussion. there won't be more than that.
end of discussion

also advanced search has been borked for ages. plugging in next buttons in there does not help the slightest bit. that thing needs a complete rewrite.

also note there is a difference between outright insult and a cynical/sarcastic remark.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ok,

let me just add one final remark on this matter.
the "old system" as you call it was a bug, a page missing the max-entries-per-page limit which is enforced now.
we didn't switch to a "new system", it's simply a bug fix.

and it's a fix which benefits server performance. and for a project like anidb, server performance is the holy grail...
it's not that we don't care about what some users would like to have, but in this case it is just not reasonable.
i.e. I have _NEVER_ used more than 30 entries per page... and i am using anidb every day...

and no, we're not going to introduce some special exceptions for users who've grown fond of the "old system"... for whatever reason that might be.

I am not asking you to like it, but i hope that you'll see the reasons behind it.
And as was pointed out multiple times already, if you really feel that there is a need to see all entries on one page, then there is probably some other, better way to solve your problem...
so instead of ranting around on the forum, why don't you try to come up with some good ideas for features which would make anime browsing on anidb easier?

BYe!
EXP

PS: i consider this topic closed, please post your further suggestions in the feature request forum (if you're suggesting improvements) or the anidb discussion forum for general talk. thx