hate the new limited list amounts

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

molitar

hate the new limited list amounts

Post by molitar »

Ok aniDB has just become a royal pain to use. Having to use next all the time just to browse all the letters of the alphabet. Why the change? I hate it. I liked it when I could see all the A's and find what I was looking for quickly and easily. But the new navigation just is a horror to use and makes me not even wanting to visit anidb anymore to read reviews.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Go to your profile settings and change the number of entries shown per page.
molitar

Post by molitar »

First thing I did. Max you can set it for is 100. Why? It took me forever hitting next next next just to find the anime I wanted to read about. At least on animenfo we can select a range for that we wish to read about.. tho it's limited 30 at a time is why I never used it. But why limit the range now after it's been unlimited all this time?
Elias

Post by Elias »

I think that now after limiting number of entries on pages we need some additional link with field ("jump to page no [ ]) - even if total number of pages would not be shown it could help avoid countless clicking to reach animes near end of list.
It is possible to jump more than to prev/next page on list by changing parameter "page" in url, why not made it little easier?

Or maybe additional "jump to" links with second letters of title.

Or maybe integrate anime list with adv. search (add in animelist field with start/part of title and link to call search inside selected by first letter animes).
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... r=0&page=1

You mean changing that last number at the end of the url?
(starts with 0)
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i don't even understand why it's so leet to see all titles starting with one char at once. if you're looking for something use search. you can even search with three or four letters! and filter by rating/votes

it's not going to be reverted and you should expect more changes like this in the future.

page links (like forums have) is of course interesting, but i don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

(also, if you really like to browse, use the anime calendar)
molitar

Post by molitar »

Well the way it is now.. I won't even bother with anidb anymore. It's easier and simpler to find stuff on animenfo even with only 30 at a time showing. Because of the way they did the pull down navigation. It is stupid it's been functionally working with the entire list.. it's only text not images in that first listing and was very functional. Now it's easier using the software or even easier using animenfo.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

all is good then
Elias

Post by Elias »

epoximator wrote:i don't even understand why it's so leet to see all titles starting with one char at once. if you're looking for something use search. you can even search with three or four letters! and filter by rating/votes
Not exactly. Try using adv. search for animes with titles beginning with 'no' (for example someane talked about anime Noir, but could not remember full name, only starting). Result: long list of titles, but not one starting with 'no' and there is no 'next page' link here, so you will be forced to use animelist (9 clicks to reach 'no').
Maybe in future animelist will be combined with search (then animelist can be reduced to links to adv. search with specific range) but till now search has not enough functions.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Again, http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... arch=%22no

'Advanced' search is old and broken, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't cater for people with perverted fantasies about seeing everything beginning with the letter 'a' all at once.

Rar
alidan

Post by alidan »

i must agree, why "fix" what isnt broken, i never understood that logic
Testy

Post by Testy »

I disagree, and just because some of you guys don't like it doesn't mean everyone shouldn't like it. I can understand if that previous feature is a bug and having to provide the bandwidth for that feature may suck, but being able to see what more than just 250 (max size) can be useful.

Like other people have said before, having to have to click thru multiple pages is inconvenient. Everytime I want to look up something with a second letter somewhere down the alphabit, I have to browse thru pages of stuff; or I could the search option, but what happens if I don't have a clue what the exact title is? Then I will never get the result because I can safely say the search option is fairly limited, even the advance one. Sometimes its better to just scan a part of the list for the title than to use the search option and have it return a whole lot of unrelated entries.

And also an important point for me, is that a non-limited list allows me to do "random browsing" a whole lot easier. If I just want to check out some interesting titles or something, now I have to go thru multiple sections of the list just to get somewhere if I am to use an erratic pattern (like going way up and way down and all over the place). On the old list, I'll just drag the scroll bar up and down, which is much better.

I know that my opinion will hardly change this site, but I want those that don't like the old list or don't miss the old list to know that not all people who want to have the old list back have "perverted fantasies about seeing everything beginning with [some letter] all at once"; some may have a practical reason for it.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

why not just give you the complete list in one page? sure, it would be very convenient, i love the idea, but it wouldn't be good for server performance. so this is not about what i/we/you prefer/like/don't like, what's convenient or not, it's about performance and anti-leeching. not limiting on char was ok when the db was an infant, but not any longer. and with the switch to utf8 and the 'other' char it became intolerable

if you don't have any clues about the title you shouldn't look by title at all. use hint, search by rating/year/whatever, ask in #anidb or use aom (yes, complete list in one page there). there are plenty of possibilities. also, if the search/adv. search is not good enough then just request improvement

(i think the real reason for some of this 'hate' is that it broke many scripts. before you could get all titles with 28 page loads, now it's ... i don't know how many)
Last edited by epoximator on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

realy i don't understand what is the whole problem with this issue.

though you don't know the total number of pages for a given letter filter (because it's all about filtering the anime), you can allways make a greasemonkey script to aid you.

but either way if you realy want to find something just use "search" it can almost allways find what you are looking for.

Advanced search is broken for some years and would need a very complete overhaul to make it into something usefull again.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

If you're using the anime list sorted by name for random browsing I think something is wrong tbh... I think that you should ask for features that would ease your random browsing rather than just walking through the anime list from a to z.

Maybe better features for browsing by year? Or browsing by genre/category? Or browsing by temp/vote? Or browsing by popularity? Or browsing by some status?

I think anidb covers most of these decently, but maybe if you think it through thoroughly you could come with a suggestion which would seriously help you and others? Browsing from a-z is essentially a point you should only come to if something is wrong with the search/filtering options.

At least that's what I think from an "usability" standpoint.

(And if you really want to do A-Z browsing you might want to try aom.5, win32 and a ram hog but it's damn fast at browsing the anime list.)