Sorting the anime list by number of votes

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

xeth

Sorting the anime list by number of votes

Post by xeth »

Hello,

I would like to request that there would be an option to sort the anime listing by the number of votes. currenty it has the option to be sorted by ratings but sometimes due to low number of votes, the ratings are not just enough to reflect the quality of the anime.

What I mean is I would like to know which animes that are really good watch by the number of votes. The more votes, the more people that have watched it therefore the ratings are more accurate.

Thanks
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Your logic is deeply flawed.

Rar
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

Heh, no kidding. :)
Listen Xeth, the main factor behind an animes's ratings (besides, of course, the anime's overall quality) is the opinions of the people who voted for it thus far, meaning that if most of the current voters liked it means it will have high ratings, but that does not mean that there aren't many more other people who watched/will watch the aforementioned anime who didn't/won't like it. Now, you are right to say that the more voters the more accurate the statistic, but the effect of voter numbers is minimal, and I very much doubt it's even close to be significant enough to influence the site's features.
windmage

Post by windmage »

More votes == less accurate rating, because all the additional voters are vote-spamming/forging tards.
Trilandian

Post by Trilandian »

A. That's not necessarily true.
B. You can't really factor that into the statistic now, can you?
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Trilandian wrote:A. That's not necessarily true.
B. You can't really factor that into the statistic now, can you?
Neither is it true that more votes == more accurate.
Based on experience (i.e. ARC Awards, but also rating-based things) it does show that voting of a lot of people doesn`t necessarily mean that it is also the best thing.
I don`t think this idea has any value really. It`s the same as displaying how many groups are doing a certain anime, which would indicate the popularity of it. Usually these are related and both only explain that those series are easily accessible (or easy to fansub), not a quality-indication.