Source and Storage notes Mass editing and Mass adding.

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

TakeoNinja

Source and Storage notes Mass editing and Mass adding.

Post by TakeoNinja »

I couldn't find it while searching so I hope it hasn't been requested... if it has then my bad :oops:

But any way. I would really like to add source and storage notes when mass adding and also the ability to mass change my storage and source notes in "my list". Since it's really annoying to change them one by one. And i love to have the source written down if i want to re-download them in the future.

I figure this isn't that hard to fix since you can mass add those notes when ed2k adding files to "my list" (which i find a pain in the ... but that's irrelevant).

Well I have my fingers crossed that no one has posted this before and double crossed so that the feature is added :D

Ps. AniDB is sooo sweet, first i thought that i would never have enough free time or intresst to add all my anime but now I have added almost everything and as soon as I watch/dl a new episode I log on to aniDB to add the info! And it's the best feeling ever :D Ds.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Source and storage are meaningless for mass add... which is not even operational after the stream changes.

What you actually appear to want is AOM.

Rar
TakeoNinja

Post by TakeoNinja »

Hmm I wonder if we misunderstand each other...

What I mean is those small notes that you can add to a file when you add it or you can edit the file later to add those notes, the source could be Bt or Irc or Ed2k and Storage is what you have written on the cd/dvd... If we do mean the same thing then I don't understand a word of what you talk about :-S

I have used AOM but I don't understand how that would help me keep track of how I obtained the files. I used it to check a file and then put that information up on AniDB (which is the point of the program right?).

Forgive me if I'm stupid or if I don't understand but if you could explain in more detailed way then i would really appreciate it.
airsBlue

Post by airsBlue »

it is not that i used source or storage before because when i joined i haded 500 GB whose i don't remember how i got them ... and i passed on them when i added a new files later ..

anyway what u want AOM have it ... go to my list in AOM -> click right click to the anime u have -> click edit
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

...you understand the difference between adding a file to anidb and adding an existing file to your mylist? Mass add does (did) the former, source and storage are for the latter.

AOM can *automatically* add stuff to your mylist, with source and storage set, dependant on what directory it's in even - and it can modify source and storage on as much of your mylist at once.

Unless you have a lot of corrupted files, or are really impatient, I don't see why you'd be mass-adding files to anidb, and wanting to add them to your mylist in the same process.

Rar
TakeoNinja

Post by TakeoNinja »

I don't want to add any files to AniDB I just want to add existing files to mylist. And yes of course I understand the difference.

I didn't know that you could add and edit files in your list using AOM I have to test that :-D Sounds much easier than doing it on the page.

With mass add I mean when I go in on the anime page, for example Blood+, and klick "expand all entries" and then klick the box for all files I want to add and then i go to the bottom to change state and chose if I have seen it or not then I press "add selected to my list". Now I couldn't write the source or storage note, instead I have to add them manually to each file in my list. But if I had chose "export ed2k hashes" and copied the hashes and pasted them in the Ed2kdump then i can add the source and storage note so that all files get those short notes in my list.

What I want is the ability to add those notes when doing it with the "add slected to my list" metod.

Thank you for bearing with me... I believe I'm not that easy to understand since english isn't my major language and I find it challenging to make my point clear.
Elias

Post by Elias »

You can also try using mass update. It still requires preparing (via export ed2k hashes or mylist export) ed2k-hashes of files you want to add/modify comment/storage.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Using AOM really is the easy way, lots less box clicking, just set it up then let it hash. And stop using the term 'mass add', as that's what you get when clicking Mass Add at the bottom of any anime page, and not what you mean at all.

Rar
TakeoNinja

Post by TakeoNinja »

Ahh okey I just called it mass add since i mass add stuff to my list but sure I'll stop using it if it confuses people. So what about my idea? Ofcourse I'll use AOM when I'm by my own computer but if I'm away I still want to be able to add the notes quick and simple and I bet it doesn't take that much time to fix either but I'm no expert so I can't know. Well well AOM sure makes stuff simpler and I have to thank you that help at least.

Though I don't like the fact that someone added a fourth answer to the poll as I find it quite imature and totally unneccesary, if you are new aren't you allowed to make mistakes? It makes me sad that people can't have the patience to ask for a clarification before they start flaming away.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Starting polls for feature REQUESTS is rude. You're asking someone to put work in for you, not trying to find out user's opinions. If you're PROVIDING a feature, it might be different.

Rar
TakeoNinja

Post by TakeoNinja »

Then just remove it and say so directly? My intent was just to check if there was any intrest in the feature not to push anyone into doing it even though I see now that it was quite poorly formulated. If that is a bad thing to do then i sincerly apologise and promise I won't do it again. But that doesn't give anyone the right to call me a tard or does it? Please don't jump to conclusions about people because of misunderstandings and slip-ups. I only ask for some respect, I didn't come here to boss around or force anyone, I came to suggest a change that would benefit me and perhaps someone else, nothing more nothing less.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Okay okay, deleting the poll is the fairer (but less amusing) option. Tard is just the baseline anidb user level... you can earn your way out of it by reading documentation, asking sensible and intelligible questions, and never creating threads in the Anime Talk subforum.

Rar
TakeoNinja

Post by TakeoNinja »

<3 Thank you <3
kidan

Post by kidan »

Just adding this note:

You can update the source & storge info for multiple files by visiting your mylist for the matching entry, expand it and check the files you want to update. Then select "update" in the dropdown box.
Tada! There you go even when not knowing the ed2k.

PS: Easiest way to add many files to your mylist: get ed2k_hash, hash the files and then ed2kdump the hashes.
Benefits: Quick, easy and a free check of the files for corruption.
Elias

Post by Elias »

kidan wrote: You can update the source & storge info for multiple files by visiting your mylist for the matching entry, expand it and check the files you want to update. Then select "update" in the dropdown box.
Where is this option to update storage field? I see there only options to change state / source / seen flags.
kidan wrote: PS: Easiest way to add many files to your mylist: get ed2k_hash, hash the files and then ed2kdump the hashes.
Benefits: Quick, easy and a free check of the files for corruption.
Quick? If you have to rehash thousends of files placed on cd/dvd only to change one field? (If you have more discs you propably use some searching/archiving software to keep track of them, but updating this info in anidb is little problematic now).
Easy? With more number of such discs its not that easy. Its rather easy way to damage some of them in progress.