Whats with this third party recommendation system?

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

nstgc

Whats with this third party recommendation system?

Post by nstgc »

Egg and I have been working very hard to get AniDB their our own system. While Egg has been gone for a long while, I'm still here. I can't code, but there are surely others that can.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Some guy showed up in the channel and asked if I could add his site to the anidb rec links. I looked at it. Had two hundred anime from anfo and a voting/rec system that didn't really do much 'cos there were no users. I suggested he make an import-votes-from-anidb system and told him how. Some point later exp gave him a table dump of all the anime in anidb (rare kindness), and various people on irc imported their votes and played around with it a bit. Baka posted a news item about it in his normal literate manner.

Anyway, as exp says here, this isn't one of us, nor is it really related to anidb, any more than it is to anfo. (hell, you think we'd use php?) However, I don't see this kind of a fork as a bad thing, and I think you should be saying "me too!" rather than being annoyed at being bypassed. The anidb development cycle is so sediment-layingly slow that getting anything done is a real nightmare. So, if you have desire and means to do a similar test-out-ideas small fork, I'll give you the same resources the dvice guy got. Obviously the anidb in-built wants to get as good as possible, it's just the road to get there is not nessessarily straight when there's an exp-shaped boulder in the way.

For the record, both anidb and dvice fail miserably for me. But as was so kindly pointed out on IRC, I'm "not normal".

Rar
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

I've been asking Egg for data for months now. While I told Egg one format I'd like the data in, so that I can put it into Mathematica where I can test all sorts of things easily, the more I think of it, I don't really know how to input the data properly as I'm more use to doing calculus related problems in it. For now, if you could give me the data in excel form I would greatly apreciate it. Also, what kind of accuracy are you looking for. My last atempt was just as inaccurate as Eggs. The difference is I spent 2 hours on mine while it took him months.

Anyways, I just got 2 new SATA II HDD from Newegg and I'm going to set up a RAID 10 finaly. :D I'm happy.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

just as clarification, no anime data dump was provided, only anime titles.
and I am clearly not to blame for all of the slow progress @ anidb.
i.e. the slow anime hint progress has _nothing_ to do with me!
same for the anime page ajax conversion and some other areas.

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Yes, to be fair, that's an exp/petriw/egg/rar shaped boulder. Though, to get the anime page changed exp, you're the one who's gonna have to rewrite the page generation, and dealing with votespamming is certainly beyond egg's domain, but's been on your plate since before I first posted on this forum. And egg's fix for the graphs has been sitting ignored for... how many months?

nstgc, I think you're still rather confused about what you've got to work with. As I said, all the dvice guy got was a suggestion on how to interface with anidb better and a list of anime title/id pairs. No votes. Even if I *could* give you a 'vote dump' (practical and moral objections aside), how the hell would I fit it into a spreadsheet, of all things? And please remember, a computer actually needs to calculate this stuff... some of your suggestions look nP complete.

Rar
nstgc

Post by nstgc »

Actually, as I said several times, my last suggestion was easier on a computer. I'm not big into software, but the number of operations is a factor correct. Well, mine, after I boiled it down, had three SQL queries and added them together. Of course, it wasn't very effective, not that egg's was. That was two hours worth of work. Is this the "people fear what they don't understand" philosophy at work? I don't think this is the correct thread to be doing this. When I pop up asking someone to help code my formula, then you can beat me down.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'll try have the anime page done for when EXP comes back from his vacation, right now I'm focusing on aom.6 development since I can do that while he's gone.
(I spend like 20+ hours a week on that so... well I'm working on it despite what you may think. >.>)
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

PetriW wrote:I'll try have the anime page done for when EXP comes back from his vacation, right now I'm focusing on aom.6 development since I can do that while he's gone.
(I spend like 20+ hours a week on that so... well I'm working on it despite what you may think. >.>)
i liked the aom.6 dev versions layout more than the v5, but i've fled from windows some time ago, and testing aom got dificult...