DON`T run excessive scripts on anidb

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Jarudin

Post by Jarudin »

What exactly do you mean by this? You can insert scripts from your browser into the HTML code, or you could a remote script that attempts to access aniDB pages.

I've fiddle around with aniDB myself and I've noticed that if I make too many page requests per x seconds the server stops responding (to me) for a couple of seconds. I presume you dont like that. I do wonder how exactly you want to enforce bans though since you dont have to log in to view most pages (except for modifcation and adult related pages).

Lets put it a little more concrete.
Lets say I made a script that makes one (anonymous) page request per second for ten minutes. Will you ban for that and how would you do that?

Also, is there any 'propper' way to access the database (without using a program like the AoM)? Like with restricted SQL for instance?
More general: is it possible to setup a simple query/response without having to go through the hassle of establishing a propper connection, authentication etc.

Thanks,

--Jarudin--
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Jarudin wrote:Lets say I made a script that makes one (anonymous) page request per second for ten minutes. Will you ban for that and how would you do that?
Yes, an IP ban (probably).
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

And before that you'll get caught by mod_throttle.

Look, the CORRECT way to access anidb via script is the UDP interface, which is documentmented on the wiki, lots of example code for, easier to use than scraping, and a whole lot less silly. But tards are tards.

Rar