Due to these circumstances ... *cough*

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

When installing WinRar you can tick boxes about which formats it should open automatically (like zip, rar, tgz, arj - try to pay attention to it - it might come in handy). But even if you haven`t ticked that box, it should still be able to open the tgz-file, you just have to pick the program.
Just click the file, rightmouse it and then pick 'Open With' and then choose winrar.
Once you`ve done that, you`ll get the contents of what`s in the archive. And I`m sure you can open those with a decent browser or something.
hhaamu

Post by hhaamu »

WinZip is a bit more intuitive in handling .tar.gz files than the current program suggestions. Upon opening one, it asks the user whether he would like to open the archive inside it [the .tar].

But "tar zxvf 1134047980-1234.tgz" still wins.
Taags

Post by Taags »

have used winrar to extract the file.

so now: what do i need for program to see the file that i have extracted ??
i have tried a bunch of programs but they say that the format isnt supported.
the file name is only 1133979697-74626 with no info about wich type of file it is.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

open a folder in windows, go to Tools -> Folder Options... -> View -> uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types' although tar.gz shouldn't be that known to windows, but anyway, if you see the extension .tar after the file name, then you gotta open it with winrar again, if not, then either you got a corrupt export or winrar messed up in extraction or god knows what else.
Since you probably have an old version of winrar, it opens the unceompressed .tar file inside the .tgz which has to be opened with winrar again and there should be the exported .html file.

Before you initiate a new mylist export, try opening the archive with this program http://www.7-zip.org/ (right click the .tgz file and select Open With and then select 7zip)
Taags

Post by Taags »

I have tried and i just have the one file with alot of numbers.
So the mylist export thing is just fucked up on my computer i guess.

We end this here ok :) I dont have to use the mylist export function. Don´t even know what its good for if you can´t acces the file with some sort of program you have on your computer.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

it's good for as a backup for your anidb mylist and for offline browsing, just that it won't be updated.
I just did a mylist export, got the tgz file, opened it with winrar, there was a tar file inside, opened it again and extracted the files and it all worked.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I`ve also done a MyList export and after receiving the tar-file, I extracted it and found myself looking at a bunch of HTML-files. Doesn`t sound foobared to me ;)