AniDB DOWN - NOW UP AGAIN!

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

donfischi

Post by donfischi »

yay time to celebrate :)

thx to the staff and the new hoster :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

all those suggestions about decentralization of course have something to them.
however, most of you are forgetting some key points:
- anidb is very big and eats a lot of resources
- it would be very tricky to somehow split up the database onto different servers and keep them in sync (think: distributed transactions, joins accross multiple servers, ... x_X)
- any distribution to multiple servers which are not located within close distance to each other could actually slow things down, instead of speed them up

BYe!
EXP
whatsup_will

Post by whatsup_will »

how about jsut do what animesuki.com does and just have mirrors of the site, and if they log in then they have to be on the main site but the anime lists, and so on can be mirrored easily i think, its just putting data back into the system thats the tricky bit.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

whatsup_will wrote:how about jsut do what animesuki.com does and just have mirrors of the site, and if they log in then they have to be on the main site but the anime lists, and so on can be mirrored easily i think, its just putting data back into the system thats the tricky bit.
our database is a bit bigger than the one of animesuki :P
basically every "mirror" you're talking about there would already need some serious hardware power.
and well, if anidb keeps growing like it is at the moment, we will have to look into stuff like this someday.
but for now we got about double the server power we had before, so I hope that will keep us afloat a bit.

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Can I lock this whole silly thread plz? I'm bored of ignorant words of wisdom from noobs.

Nice new avatar btw exp.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, you can... but maybe you shouldn't. :P
kidan

Post by kidan »

shaman wrote:Well maybe a good idea would be a solution similar to wikipedia's one. Using a few (would be good atleast 2) servers as main database serves and using seperate (in this case all those donated low-spec servers) for caching (squid or smth.).
I dont think squid can cache dynamic links (../xyz.php?someparam=bla...) for wikipedia the links stay the same, unless some article is renamed, so squid can cache those.

Besides I don't think that distributing AniDB at its current state onto different servers would be that easy, as you'll run into syncronization traps pretty easy (esp. if some kind of load balancer is used).
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Come on Rar don't get aggravated over this thread :-)

EXP doesn't really care if some idiot asks for something, he knows what's best and a we didn't have a thread like this one for years :-)

So let the kids play a little bit more and eventually when they notice that EXP doesn't read it anymore anyway they will stop talking to or amongst themselves and just get back to using AniDB and enjoying it.

This was the first long downtime in years and I guess it won't happen again that soon.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Skywalka wrote:This was the first long downtime in years and I guess it won't happen again that soon.
can i point and laugh at you? we have had a longer downtime every 6 months for 2 years now. don't forget the 1 month downtime from december to january last year or the other one in march (or may whatever) this year.
as much as i wish it were true we got no downtimes, but it's not true :P
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

He`s still in denial :lol:
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well, let's hope we can make this up by having fewer or at least short downtimes from now on :o)

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You sure about the downtime last december?
Wasn't only AR Forum?
Amour

Post by Amour »

Now down again.
ERROR:

Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value at /var/www/anidb/perl-bin/modules/adb_db.pm line 461.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

some technical issue that was fast resolved