AniDB DOWN - NOW UP AGAIN!

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Mondaiji

Post by Mondaiji »

First of all big thanks for anidb.

positive sideeffect of this downtime
Don't argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
i had a good :lol:
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

was there a way to donate some money to anidb?

Because i'm sure many wouldnt mind helping for this amazing site to stay up...
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

No way to donate cash at present, and hopefully will not be needed. Idea has been discussed, but turning AniDB into a user funded site would cause a lot more headaches than anyone wants to deal with as present.

Rar

If you shared [RiP] Kimera a bit faster though, you'd make this little monkey happy
FireEye

Post by FireEye »

Well... I think i coud host it...

got a
Intel Pention 2.3 Ghz
1024 Mg Ram

On a 10Mbit Connection (BredBandsBolaget / Sweden)

Just send me a mail on A_Persson87@hotmail.com

// Big-AniDB-Fan
matija

Post by matija »

:D :D

Host it please!!

anidb is the greatest site ever. i never thought i would feel depressed because some site went down.

i have access to a server that serves your needs, but it's windows based. is it possible for it to make it work on windows? i guess it's not, but i'm not so much in that kind of stuff.

if it is.... maybe i could host it.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

i can only hope anidb gets back up,it was one of my 4 most visited sites,and i bet there are tons of ppl who could say the same.
If you ppl have to change server or something i hope there is a recent working backup or something :D
123456789o

Grammer IS important!

Post by 123456789o »

As everyone should have noticed by now AniDB is down and will be down for an indefinite timeperiod as we are facing some trouble with our server.
From the anidb wiki page: "downtime".
:?:
Indefinite is used as undefined in the sense that forever is undefined, you are implying forever with the use of 'indefinite'. Instead, use the word 'undefined'.

Sorry, I'm a language major, as such, I tend to be pickey about things like grammer and proper word use. This type of error, in particular, is one of my pet peeves.

||||
0--0
\__/
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=indefinite
3 entries found for indefinite.
in·def·i·nite Audio pronunciation of "indefinite" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-df-nt)
adj.

Not definite, especially:

1. Unclear; vague.
2. Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
3. Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.

you fail at language even more than me :P
:roll:
suppy

Re: Grammer IS important!

Post by suppy »

123456789o wrote: Indefinite is used as undefined in the sense that forever is undefined, you are implying forever with the use of 'indefinite'. Instead, use the word 'undefined'.
I think you're confusing "indefinite" with "infinite" ...

Edit: Wanted to add that I think all you in the AniDB staff are doing a terrific job, you have my undying gratitude and admiration!
yalooze

Post by yalooze »

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grammer
1 entry found for grammer.

grammer, IN
Zip code(s): 47236
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pickey
No entry found for pickey.
Sorry, couldn't help myself. ^_^

EDIT: Also, AniDB FTW.
Mondaiji

Post by Mondaiji »

dict.leo
maybe the period is confusing if you would have just used time it would match your meaning.. maybe (OOoOOOo) btw. i suck at english but have nothing better to do atm cause anidb is down .. u know O_o
123456789o

Post by 123456789o »

Main Entry: indefinite
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: ambiguous
Synonyms: broad, confused, doubtful, dubious, equivocal, evasive, general, ill-defined, imprecise, indeterminable, indeterminate, indistinct, inexact, inexhaustible, infinite, innumerable, intangible, loose, obscure, shadowy, uncertain, unclear, undefined, undependable, undetermined, unfixed, unknown, unlimited, unsettled, unspecific, unsure, vague, wide
Antonyms: fixed, limited
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
Main Entry: boundless
Definition: endless
Synonyms: great, illimitable, immeasurable, immense, incalculable, indefinite, inexhaustible, infinite, limitless, measureless, tremendous, unbounded, unconfined, unending, unlimited, untold, vast, wide open
Antonyms: confined, finite, limited, restricted
Main Entry: eternal
Definition: endless
Synonyms: abiding, ageless, always, amaranthine, boundless, ceaseless, constant, continual, continued, continuous, dateless, deathless, enduring, everlasting, forever, illimitable, immemorial, immortal, immutable, imperishable, incessant, indefinite, indestructible, infinite, interminable, lasting, never-ending, perdurable, perennial, permanent, perpetual, persistent, relentless, termless, timeless, unbroken, unceasing, undying, unending, unfading, uninterrupted, unremitting, without end
Antonyms: brief, ending, ephemeral, finite, fleeting, mortal, temporary, terminable
from dict.leo [above]
for an indefinite period
für einen unbegrenzten Zeitraum
"für einen unbegrenzten Zeitraum" literally translates to "for an unlimited timeperiod"
Indefinite term [as in timeperiod]

[...]

3. Boundless; infinite. [R.]

[...]

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
...and I can find more if you like.

Although the definition of 'indefinite' is to have vague limits, it is more apropriately (especially when refering to time) used in the sense of being infinite. Indefinite integrals, for example, are integral whose lower bound, upper bound, or both are infinity. In many cases the definition of a word does not equate apropriatness in said situation. For example, I could say, "he was a formidable friend," the definition of formidable:
formidable adj. [...] Admirable or awe-inspiring. [...]
American Heritage Dictionary
It is correctly used to mean "he was an admirable friend," however, when used in that sentence most people would think more along the lines of "he was a fearsome friend." The word formidable is more commonly used to in the negative sense to imply freaful or dreaded. "It was a formidable enemy." In the same sense, the word indefinite, while it means vague or unspecified; implies infinite, unlimited, or endless.

I rest my case, and, anyway, it's not really that big of a deal anyway... it can't be, right? Especially, if they don't teach grammer in school anymore. Whatever... I live in a country where a man who has never run a business, much less a government, can get elected for president and an ACTOR, a person whose occupation is to act like he knows what he's doing, can become governor.

Anyway... I don't really care anymore, I'm going to go watch ハウルの動く城 now.
BelGarion

Post by BelGarion »

I rest my case, and, anyway, it's not really that big of a deal anyway... it can't be, right? Especially, if they don't teach grammer in school anymore. Whatever... I live in a country where a man who has never run a business, much less a government, can get elected for president and an ACTOR, a person whose occupation is to act like he knows what he's doing, can become governor. ]
Actually, so far, two actors have been Governor (Regan and Arnold), one actor President (Regan), and one professional wrestler has been Governor (Jessie "The Body" Ventura) to my knowledge. But, yes, I *live* in Cali, place sucks. :P

BelGarion

P.S. *Oh* and on grammer, don't even get me started, the "Let's make Ebonics an offical language." was pure insanity, I *think* it was also orgionated here in Cali. :roll:
Sirex

Words, silly words.

Post by Sirex »

Main Entry: indefinite
Definition: ambiguous
Synonyms: broad, confused, doubtful, dubious, equivocal, evasive, general, ill-defined, imprecise, indeterminable, indeterminate, indistinct, inexact, inexhaustible, infinite, innumerable, intangible, loose, obscure, shadowy, uncertain, unclear, undefined, undependable, undetermined, unfixed, unknown, unlimited, unsettled, unspecific, unsure, vague, wide
Antonyms: fixed, limited
It's not fair to take part of something to support your argument and ignore the rest. Also, you didn't address the issue of the definition as well as common usage. Try doing a google search for "indefinite period" since the doors have already been opened to using hasty generalization. :-)
hours - an indefinite period of time; "they talked for hours"

Noun 1. indefinite quantity - an estimated quantity

An indefinite repetition of the same part or organ is the common characteristic (as Owen has observed) of all low or little-modified forms; therefore we may readily believe that the unknown progenitor of the vertebrata possessed many vertebrae; the unknown progenitor of the articulata, many segments; and the unknown progenitor of flowering plants, many spiral whorls of leaves.
Go to page The Origin of Species by Darwin, Charles

As the meeting had been held at Uncle Tom's weekly, for an indefinite length of time, without any more "cheers," there seemed some encouragement to hope that a way would be discovered at present.
Go to page Uncle Tom's Cabin by Stowe, Harriet Beecher
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/period%20of%20time

Clearly the authors do not mean infinite in any of the above examples.

I don't agree with your example of not using formidable to describe a friend. Formibable is commonly used to describe friends, especially in literature.

I also take some issue with your example of limits. It is important to recognize that limits "approach infinity" they are not bounded by it. Infinity itself is only a concept not a number. Thus its being indefinite but not undefined.

I would also argue that "undefined" would be a less appropriate word choice as it implies that aniDB will be down not for an unsure, or unknown period but instead for some sort of special period that has yet to be defined by someone or is vague. The amount of time aniDB will be down for, while unknown, I am sure it will be well defined and not vague.

I disagree that "indefinite" implies "infinite" instead I argue that indefinite merely allows infinite to be included as a possibility. In this case we hope it will not be the result but I would argue it is not wrong to include it as a possibility.

Therefore I argue that indefinite is the best word choice because it means that the period of time is not definite or does not have a distinct or clearly defined limit as opposed to being undefined or not defined which to me has more confusing connotations.
Note the difference between the limit of the time period being undefined and the time period itself being undefined.

And I must admit that I have nothing else to do but argue since AniDB is down and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I will avoid argumentum ad hominem at all costs. :-P I look forward to being proven wrong. Wow, I wasted way too much time on this. :-P

"Millions of lemmings can't be wrong." --unknown
"The word good has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man"
Chesterton
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Really some people should be picky about more important things. :roll:
Sirex is right... and there is no way you could be.